It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #1

alh419 HB User
Chapped lips

I know this may seem like a trivial problem but it been well over a year now and i cant handle it. My lips has been split in the same spot for well over ayear and i use chap stick all the time drink soo much water and whenever it begins to heal it just cracks again. is there anythign anyone can recommend to make this thing heal already!?

Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

LearnV2 HB User
Re: Chapped lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh419
I know this may seem like a trivial problem but it been well over a year now and i cant handle it. My lips has been split in the same spot for well over ayear and i use chap stick all the time drink soo much water and whenever it begins to heal it just cracks again. is there anythign anyone can recommend to make this thing heal already!?

I remember that a dermatologist once gave me two sample of these two different creams because I had a large split that wouldn't moisturize and or close. Apparently, the reason it was not healing was because it was infected ... AND dry ... so one took care of infection and the other took care of the dryness. You may want to see a dermatologist ... even just stop by an office and try to get some little sample creams that are suposed to disinfect and moisturize.

Yoou could also go get some neosporin anti-biotic. This will moisturize and disinfect. I used this for maintenance for a while and it work very well.

For over a year now I only use Vaseline Advanced Lip Therapy petroleum jelly in the little lip-stick size dispensers. I always try to keep one around.

I also use Eucerin when I get out of the shower, on my whole face .. not forgetting the lips. BNo more problems.

Chap-stick never did anything for me really. Every brand of chap-stick, even the Neutrogena, always seems to make my lips more chapped.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Have you tried Carmex? I think it says it's for cold sores, but it really works for a split lip. I really struggle with this too! chapstick doesn't do anything for me either. I use carmex and I try to limit my salt intake because I've noticed that it's usually worse after a night of sitting on my arse with a box of cheez-its!

Old 12-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #4

Blue102 HB User

I have always had a problem with dry, cracking lips. I have been reading a lot lately about what to do for this problem. Apparently you're not supposed to use anything petroleum based, like Vaseline, because it dries out your lips, but it works for some people. I've been using Palmer's Vitamin E Scar Serum (yeah! I'm serious) morning and night, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Vitamin E Moisturizing Body Oil during the day, and also Banana Boat Aloe Vera/ Vitamin E lip balm (in the little green tube.) My lips feel softer and much healthier, but they still peel so I have to exfoliate. Check out the post called Ex-pickers Chapped Lips. There are some good suggestions on there.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

LearnV2 HB User

Carmex, all different types of it ... never worked for me.

Vitamin E, in it's purest form ... could work really well I suppose.

I am using vitamin E for a scar that I just got.

I bought the highest potency and purest gel caps that I cld find, I poke a hole in em .. and squeeze the gel out. I could see how this gel could be really good for lips ... but I don't know how practical it could be, in commercial form, to carry with you.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

elggon HB User

Carmex or vaseline both work very good. YOu can apply them before you go to bed and it'll still be on in the morning. That usually does the trick for me when my lips crack.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:38 PM   #7

Lisa43017 HB User

vaseline is the only thing that has worked for mine.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Clinique's Superbalm for lips is the only thing that works for me. Chap stick does nothing as well as all the others. I have tried them all. It is pricey for a small tube but it works.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

I have used carmex for around 6 years now... and it stays on long and i have never had cracked lips in 6 years... it can be a bit addictive though for me... has anyone else been addicted to their chapstick???

Old 12-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #10

Blue102 HB User

I used to use Carmex several years ago, and it worked well for me then, but for some reason lately it hasn't worked. I don't know why. Maybe you just need to switch around sometimes. (Note: it's petroleum based.)

Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Aquaphor by Eucerin works wonders. My doctor recommended it to me. Kind of pricey, but it works.

Closed Thread