It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User
Ideal Breakfast?

What would you say is the ideal breakfast that can leave you less fatigued? I drink a cup of coffee with lots of milk and a donut, or cereal. I feel that it doesn't give me enough energy. I'm 28 and I've been drinking coffee for the past 3 years. Before that it was just cereal. Any advice?

Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
(male)

lugter HB User
Re: Ideal Breakfast?

Good quality plain oatmeal is great. Eat it with milk, slices of banana, and a bit of liquid honey (or whatever its called) on top, just to make it taste better. Avoid sugar if you can...honey is better. And even better, avoid the coffee, it has never done anybody anygood. Make a glas of fresh juice if you can, or just have a big glas of water. Take vitamins to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Have more protein. A boiled egg, whole grain toast, a bit of something sweet on it (honey, jam, peanut butter..etc), and coffee.

You're fatigued because the carbs burn up too fast. Oatmeal plus an egg would be good as well.

An egg! keeps me for as long as 6 hours (although I usually don't wait that long)

quincy

Old 12-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Yes but eggs have too much cholesterol, no?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #5

Lisa43017 HB User

Try more protein along with your carbs, possibly even some fat like peanut butter.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

im sorry but there is eggs in the donut you are eating..a donut with a coffee is really junk..no wonder you are so tired..

Old 12-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

I don't eat the donut everyday. I eat something different everyday - one day a donut, the other cereal, the other a piece of cake, the other eggs. It's a cycle. But I have to admit, I probably overdue it with the sugar, however I have my limits.

Peanut butter is not a bad idea. On 2 slices of bread it sounds good.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

you eat cake, doughnuts and you're worried about egg cholesterol?

At least it's a natural cholesterol and your body can actually use it. Not to also add that egg has actual vitamins and minerals in it....it's easy to digest and high in protein and can keep you from getting tired or even wanting to snack before lunchtime.

Actually if you eat non-protein foods consistently, your insulin level increases and your brain chemistry changes to actually feel hungry quicker so that you can eat again. The body actually goes into more of a starvation mode and the creation of fat calls is increased.

Complex carbs and protein for breakfast is really the best.

If you're choosing peanut butter..don't choose Skippy or other made with sugar. Use only the kind that is only peanuts with no added products.
Another option would be to eat raw almonds or almond butter.

Have it on spelt or whole grain bread/toast.

Hope your energy levels increase.

quincy

Old 12-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #9

flygirl** HB User

Try this...

Scramble two eggs. When they're done, sprinkle on a bit of grated cheese (not too much!) and stir it around a bit 'til its melted. Then pour in a little bit of your favorite salsa. Stir to mix, and heat through.

Put some in a whole wheat flour tortilla and roll it up. Yum! Breakfast burritos are great.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

I'm not on my deathbed!! And I'm actually quite skinny, I don't know if that makes a big difference. I walk too much and I can't seem to keep weight on. But I will try your suggestions - thanks.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

The reason why I mentioned the cholesterol was b/c eggs have a lot of cholesterol. Eating them everyday could be a problem. As far as the donut and cake, that's not an everyday thing for me. There's a difference there.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

whats with the cakes and, donuts..these you should have at a party not on a regular basis..

eggs with corn bread..
cereals with chopped up almonds
bananas
cottage cheese
waffles with penut butter(corn waffles)
yogurt with flax
tuna sandwich..
etc..

Old 12-14-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I would first AVOID donuts & sugar. Those will give you a high, then a low. It's called "sugar blues". Eat protein & complex carbs (oatmeal is a good suggestion), and make sure you are well hydrated. I drink lots of water, starting first thing in the morning. If I don't, I get tired. Eggs are OK if you're female. They've done tests on men showing that eggs elevate their cholesterol, but the same tests on women don't elevate them!! Organic eggs are best, w/ no hormones added. There's no reason you can't eat chicken or beef in the morning, either.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

I also forgot to mention I'm a bit anemic, so to a certain degree I understand why I feel fatigue. But the truth is, I really need something very light in the morning. I can't stuff myself. So I just wanted some advice as to what to eat to maintain the energy.

I still live at home and my mother cooks healthy. But from 9 - about 2 in the afternoon, I get a bit weak. I just wanted some healthy breakfast tips to keep me energized during those hours. After lunch I'm ok.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:21 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

if you'r anemic you should go get tested for celiac disease, that is one of the biggest symtoms of this disease..It's a malabsorption of nutrients, no wonder you'r so tired..you'r probably low on nutients..go get tested, and if it is, then a simple diet will make you feel much better..

Closed Thread