It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User
What is wrong with my husband?

Hi. My husband is 45 years old. He has had chronic nausea, general stomach upset, and fatigue for a couple of years now. He is a smoker. It seems like it all started when he tried to quite smoking for the umteenth time two years ago. He started feeling like crap and we attributed it to not smoking. He was doing the patches. He finally quit the patches and then started back smoking.

But, he still felt really bad all of the time. So he went to our pcp and had blook work done and that all came back normal. He went to a gastrointestinal doctor who did a scope again. He has been diagnosed with GERD and takes Nexium which takes care of the heartburn but this is not heartburn at this point. The scope showed that his asophagus had healed since he had started on the medication and the scope showed no other stomach problems. He burps A LOT and always has ever since I've known him. Gross but true. He burps no matter what he eats and he burps when he hasn't eaten anything.

He has lost about 25 pounds since this all started. He just doesn't feel like eating. He doesn't feel like doing anything. He forces himself to go to work. He is losing clients and not going after new clients and his income has decreased a good deal.

He also drinks a lot. He has cut down and he is quitting completely this Wen. We've both gotten into the habit of having two vodka martinis before dinner but he was drinking much more after that some nights. He also drinks way too much coffee in the mornings and doesn't eat breakfast. Maybe it is all just catching up to him?

He cried last night and said that he is just so fed up with feeling like crap all of the time. I tried again to get him to go back to the gastrointerologist but he said no. I tried again this morning to let me call to make an appointment. He thinks it is just the drinking and once he stops doing that then he'll be fine. I hope that he is right, and I'm sure that the drinking makes it worse, but I just have this feeling that it is something more.

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with anything similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User
Re: What is wrong with my husband?

i am so sorry your hubby is going thru all this. has he been tested for lyme disease? also, they should look at his ebv leverl. (ebstein barr virus)
the symptoms for lyme and cfs are almost the same, so i would look at both possibilities. get more blood work done and ask to be tested for both of these as well. i hope you find an answer
karen

Old 12-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
(female)

Njank HB User

Maybe your husband should try to get a 2nd opinion. It cant hurt. I have a slight case of Acid Reflux and I oftern burp/hiccup for no reason too. Now that I think about it, it started 6 months ago when I also stopped smoking. I think it is just a coincidence though. I have heard of people vomiting often from acid reflux. Maybe he should try a stronger prescription like Protonix.
Hope things work out.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

Thanks guys. I don't know exactly what his blood was tested for but I think that it was just for levels of enzymes and stuff like that rather than for any particular disease like lyme disease.

I think that he has taken Protonix before but I could be wrong. It was something that started with a P though. I'd love to get a second opinion if I could get him to go to the doctor at all.

Maybe when he realizes that he still feels this way after having quit drinking for a while he'll go back. I also wonder if he is giving the doctor's any information because when I ask him he just says "I don't fee good." I have to prod and really probe, asking time after time for specifics to get anything out of him.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My former pastor was very ill with mysterious digestive ailments for over a year. He lost tons of weight and energy and looked like a walking dead man before they finally diagnosed him with a massive internal yeast infection. His symptoms were alot like that. I'd definitely seek a second opinion.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trystme
Hi. My husband is 45 years old. He has had chronic nausea, general stomach upset, and fatigue for a couple of years now. He is a smoker. It seems like it all started when he tried to quite smoking for the umteenth time two years ago. He started feeling like crap and we attributed it to not smoking. He was doing the patches. He finally quit the patches and then started back smoking.

But, he still felt really bad all of the time. So he went to our pcp and had blook work done and that all came back normal. He went to a gastrointestinal doctor who did a scope again. He has been diagnosed with GERD and takes Nexium which takes care of the heartburn but this is not heartburn at this point. The scope showed that his asophagus had healed since he had started on the medication and the scope showed no other stomach problems. He burps A LOT and always has ever since I've known him. Gross but true. He burps no matter what he eats and he burps when he hasn't eaten anything.

He has lost about 25 pounds since this all started. He just doesn't feel like eating. He doesn't feel like doing anything. He forces himself to go to work. He is losing clients and not going after new clients and his income has decreased a good deal.

He also drinks a lot. He has cut down and he is quitting completely this Wen. We've both gotten into the habit of having two vodka martinis before dinner but he was drinking much more after that some nights. He also drinks way too much coffee in the mornings and doesn't eat breakfast. Maybe it is all just catching up to him?

He cried last night and said that he is just so fed up with feeling like crap all of the time. I tried again to get him to go back to the gastrointerologist but he said no. I tried again this morning to let me call to make an appointment. He thinks it is just the drinking and once he stops doing that then he'll be fine. I hope that he is right, and I'm sure that the drinking makes it worse, but I just have this feeling that it is something more.

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with anything similar?

Hi hun

I'm so sorry your husband is going through a tough time right now. Did they run a test for H-Pylori? The doctor wouldn't be able to see in with a scope. We just found out that my daughter has this and she had nearly all the same symptoms as your husband. A stool sample would be more accurate if he is willing to do that. Here are some of the symtoms: (H-Pylori usually means that you have an Ulcer too, but not all the time) I would have this test done for sure.

Abdominal discomfort is the most common symptom. This discomfort usually

* is a dull, gnawing ache

* comes and goes for several days or weeks

* occurs 2 to 3 hours after a meal

* occurs in the middle of the night (when the stomach is empty)

* is relieved by eating

* is relieved by antacid medications

Other symptoms include

* weight loss

* poor appetite

* bloating

* burping

* nausea

* vomiting

Something else that can make you tired all the time is Your thyroid being out of whack. He may want to run test on his thyroid too, just to be sure. I have Hypothyroidism, which is a low thyroid level, and it really made me feel very bad. I would sleep all the time and would have NO energy at all.

Look up his symptoms on the internet and see if you can find something. I would definitely talk him into having some more tests done. There is a reason he is feeling like this and I don't think it's because of quitting smoking. (Just my opinion).

Good luck hun,
Chantel

Old 12-24-2004, 03:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone. Why are men so stubborn when it comes to things like this? Every time that I get an illness that will not go away, I go see a doctor, it is not that big of a deal! I guess that if I nag enough, he'll go just to shut me up!

Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trystme
Thanks everyone. Why are men so stubborn when it comes to things like this? Every time that I get an illness that will not go away, I go see a doctor, it is not that big of a deal! I guess that if I nag enough, he'll go just to shut me up!

I wish I knew the answer to that. My husband is the same way. I fuss at him all the time for not going to the doctor. He doesn't get sick often, but when he does, it's usually pretty bad and he refusses to go see a doctor. I guess it's the way he grew up.

I go to the doctor when I'm ill too. If it's just sinuses or something that I know, I don't go, but for something I have no clue what's going on, you bet I'm running to the doctor.

Anyway, I hope you can talk him into going in to see the doctor again. There has got to be a reason for him feeling so lousy. I hope you both find the answers soon and he feels better fast. Keep us updated and good luck

Chantel

Closed Thread