It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

shanemckay HB User
Severe neck pain

Hello all, I have been suffering with severe neck pain for the last 6 weeks. I have a constant crick / crunch in my neck and severe pain in my neck that goes all the way up to my jaw and teeth. My doctor diagnosed a muscular problem without having a look at me and gave me a course of anti inflammatary tablets, which have had no effect. The pain was so bad last week that I ended up in casualty. I sat in casualty four 4 hours without seeing a doctor and eventually came home without being seen. I'm still in a hell of a lot of pain and discomfort. The constant crunching suggests to me that there might be something out of line in my body. I have been thinking of going to a chiropractor but the cost has been offputting -I am on state benefits. If the problem is muscular rather than to to with bones, will a chiropractor be able to help? And advice would be excellent.

Thanks guys

shane

Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Severe neck pain

I would see a reg dr 1st. Then he may have a good chrio in your area.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Sounds like a nerve thing to me. I pinched a nerve in the side of my neck during childbirth and couldn't turn my head for weeks! It was all cocked over to the side. I had to turn my entire upper body to look at something. The only thing that helped was a combo of anti inflammatory, muscle relaxers, and narcotic painkillers. It helped me be able to move until the nerve healed. Time is the only thing that will fix it if that is the case.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-23-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

At the very least,I think an MRI should be done to try and determine if there is a problem with the discs/nerves in the cervical spine area.If you can get a referral to a good neurosurgeon it would really help in Dxing your problem.But at any rate, the MRI would be an excellent starting point.good luck,marcia

Old 12-24-2004, 02:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

I would try to get to a chiro as soon as you can afford it and until then keep trying to get in to see an MD. One morning I woke up and couldn't move my neck without excruciating pain. That day was the first day that I ever went to a chiro and if you'd talked to me that day I would have said that they were miracle workers. Fixed me right up!

Keep calling around to different chiros for their fees. I don't know where you are from, it sounds like you may not be from the US?, but here, depending on how many chiros you have in a particular area, they do compete with one another based on price, unlike MDs. There are also some chiros around here who do not take insurance and their prices are much cheaper than the others. They just don't want to have to fool with the paper work and they deal with people who do not have insurance for chiropractic anyway. With HMOs being so prevalent, hardly anyone has chiropractic insurance like they used to, I know that I don't. There is also a wide difference from one chiro to the next in terms of philosophy, equipment, and expertise.

Closed Thread