It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

metaldoll HB User
breaking up mucus

Okay sorry if this is a realllly stupid question but I have a tiny bit of mucus at the back of my throat and it's driving me nuts. I cannot spit it up or cough it up. Does anyone know anything that would help break it up? Like water or nyquil or something? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and I know mucus is no big deal I'd just rather not go through the next two days trying convincing myself I have an pnumonia. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User
Re: breaking up mucus

Drink lots of liquids in general. What about some hot tea with honey? There is also salt water, put some salt in some warm water and let it desolve then gargle. Any OTC med with guafenisen (sp?) in it is supposed to loosen mucus also. I have a cold right now and that is why I am up, I couldn't sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: breaking up mucus

Taking a teaspoon of plain Robitussin cough syrup before bed will help keep mucous in throat thinned during the night. "Mucinex" is over the counter pills made with same ingredient as Robutissin but much stronger. Mucinex helps to thin mucous so your body will be able to get it up and out. If you cannot find Mucinex on the shelf, ask the pharmacist, sometimes they keep it in the back.

Closed Thread