It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
(male)

mrtrotty HB User
Help for my mum who is depressed, obese and with diabetes

Please, I would like some advice on the health of my mother

Health: clinically obese, smoker, diabetes, not mobile and cannot stand or walk for long at all. Dependent on alcohol, and drinks large quantities of gin / beer generally in the evening

History
Tendency to be unstable, had a nervous breakdown after giving birth to me (35 years ago), had ECT treatment but never sure if this helped or solved her problems.

Has just "come out" that she was sexually abused but a family / close friend member at the age of 8, over a period of time. The person is still alive and part of our network, but of course my mother has not seen the person for some considerable time.

We have noticed my mother has got worse over the past 6 years or so, first by gaining a large amount of weight and cutting herself off more from the world. Since she retired from work 3 years ago things have got even worse and she is drinking heavily in the evening (never admitted to me and my sister) but my dad sees it all. She also has diabetes but she doesn’t seem to worry about what the drink could do on top of the diabetes.

She is not washing, dressing or looking after herself pretty much every day.

My Dad is at the end of his tether and he is going through mental torment from my mother, who is mentally abusing him after she has had a drink or two. He has spent many a night sleeping in the car to avoid more grief. We know it is due to her problems but she will not seek help or let anyone seek help for her. Doctors have told us that it must come from her.

The last 3/4 days have not been good and she has been in bed for all of them, complaining of some back and side pain that she cannot get rid of. Doc says she should seek further medical advice but mother won’t accept this and just lies in bed.

We don’t know what to do.... do we let her just carry on which is certain to lead to an early grave! - Doctors say they cannot do anything unless my mother asks for it.... Its all-quite ridiculous...but we don’t have the answers.

Dad is a nervous wreck and I also fear for his health. He would genuinely leave her tomorrow if he could but he has no-where to go. He is lost, confused and unhappy.... that goes for my mum too.

Can anyone help in knowing what are our possibilities? Could we force her to seek medical treatment, or does anyone know a support group in the UK that might be useful for my Dad.

All help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread