It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
MRI on shoulder

Well I was hit by a car about 6 weeks or so ago... the orth thinks that I may have torn something in my shoulder and I have to get an mri.. what does this consist of?

Old 12-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User
Re: MRI on shoulder

an mri is no big deal. it is kinda like a big massive xray machine, but different. you lie on your back and get rolled in this machine and it takes pictures of whatever you are having the mri for, but sees better than a normal xray.
only thing is, if you do not like closed in places, claustraphobic (sp) then i would get something from your dr to keep you calm. i hate closed in places so i have to take xanax to get in this thing. it is open at both ends, and i know i have plenty of air, but i don't like close places

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Lightbulb Re: MRI on shoulder

Hi twizliz--

I broke both of my legs in a car accident earlier this year and my doctor ordered an MRI after I had surgery to fix the broken femur (thighbone). It's not that big of a deal. You lay on a table and go inside this tube thing and you have to lie very still while the machine takes the pictures. You'll probably get ear plugs because the MRI machine makes these loud annoying clicking sounds. The test can go anywhere from minutes up to an hour in some cases. My particular MRI was scheduled to take about 30 min but it had to be stopped half-way through due to a searing pain in my thigh. As you probably know, you cannot have any metal within the MRI because it's like a very strong magnet. Well, in the surgery to fix my leg, the surgeon had to put a 10.5" titanium rod in my leg to hold the bone together so it would heal straight. He said it probably wouldn't interfere with the test but obviously it did. So I went through all that for nothing. As long as you have no metal implanted in your body you should be fine. As a heads up, remember not to wear earrings, a belt or any jewelery that is metal because it could get ripped right off you by the magnets in the machine. Other than that, relax. It's not that bad!

Old 12-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I'm sorry to post about this again.. but I'm still nervous about it. I have the MRI on Tuesday. What does the whole procedure consist of.. especially if they are using a contrast material.. will an iv be used?

Old 12-30-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

If using contrast you will have an iv. They will put the iv in before you start the test and towards the end of the test the dye will start. Sometimes it gives you a funny feeling but it is not anything real bad. The actual MRI is not bad, but if you have problems with small spaces, you might need to ask your doctor before the test for something for your nerves. And you need to ask for it before you go for the test, because your doctor will have to ok it. It is a VERY small space. Since you are already nervous I would see if you can have something. The testing part of the MRI is not bad though. It is real loud, it sounds like a jackhammer. It should probably take about 45 minutes. They will slide you into the tube, you will hear the loud noise and they may ask you to hold your breath at times. I am not sure since it is on your shoulder. Then the last few minutes is when they put the contrast in. It is not painful, but it can be kind of scary. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I feel as though I'm more in control if I know what is going on before hand, you know? Thanks again and happy new year!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

IT's not bad really, I've had about 4 of them, if you have a panic disorder especially about enclosed places get a valium or xanax from the Dr and another thing that really helps me (I'm claustrophobic)is while lying on the table just before the table starts to roll in the tube ask for a washcloth, fold it and put over you eyes and never open the eyes, keep it on til you are rolled back out, it prevents you from seeing inside. The contrast isn't bad either, it just gives them better detail if they need it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I had the MRI and arthography (SP?) done today. I wasn't aware about the arthography..thankfully or else I would have been even more nervous. My doctor had advised me to take 1.5 of xanax before everything started and it really helped out. The hospital I went to was wonderful, everyone was really nice... and the guy that was taking care of me looked like John Mayer... which made for some nice fantacies whilst in the MRI LOL. It was very clausterphobic, however, I did not think it would be THAT small. The dr. said the arthography went okay, and everything looked good.. but I have yet to get a response back about the mri.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I am glad you got through it ok.What was the arthography? Let us know how your test's come out!

Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

The arthogrpahy is another way to determine if there was a tear. They place a needle (like 5 inches) into your joint and add the contrast material and see if it leaks through a part...indicating a tear. The artho was normal, but I'm still awaiting the results of the mri.

Closed Thread