It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #1

spondylo HB User
Question Painful Knee Problems-Any ideas what this might be?

About 5 years ago, I was camping and got lost on an island and ended up walking aproximately 10-15 miles before finding the camp area. That night and the next morning, my knees were very sore but still I could walk and I needed ice and had to walk a mile to the ranger station to get it. That was not wise, and it took several days for my knees to feel normal again.

Over the past few years, I have had the same problem a couple of times just from being on my feet on a hard surface for too long. And then, again, when I would walk for a great distance. But always it would "heal" back to normal within a day or two.

My husband and I have always done a fair amount of hiking and walking, but in the last couple of months, I cannot walk more than a couple of miles with out this problem occurring. New Year's Day we walked about 4 miles and I almost could not walk the last mile or so. This time it's been over 10 days and my knees are still sore.

I had a screening x-ray a while back that showed no bone problems at all.

So, to sum up. This came on suddenly, usually cleared up quickly, has gotten progressively worse, has not cleared up this time, and there is no evidence of bone problems on a regular x-ray. Also, when the pain first comes on, it is pretty severe.

I am wondering if it could be a problem with the menicus or ligaments or tendons and if anyone else has had similar problems. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give some background. TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #2

spondylo HB User
Re: Painful Knee Problems-Any ideas what this might be?

bumping up? Any ideas out there??

Old 01-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Seeing as how nothing of a bone problem showed up on your xrays I would say yes to your idea of ligaments or tendons. By any chance if you were to take your hand and rub it along the outside of the upper thigh is there a hard feeling under your skin that is about half the length of your thigh? If so I would say that you have a tendon problem. I was given piroxicam for my knees ckicking but it really helped with the tightness of my tendons. I went to my family doctor not a special one. He just heard them and felt how tight my legs were he told me to take them for 21 days.
Piroxicam is used for the treatment of inflammation and pain that results from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis but my knees feel much better. Also effective in treating fever, pain, and inflammation in the body. As a group, NSAIDs are non-narcotic relievers of mild to moderate pain of many causes, including injury, menstrual cramps, arthritis, and other musculoskeletal conditions. I went to my family doctor for a different reason and when
Hope you are able to fix it soon and that it is something easy to fix.

Jenteal

Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #4

spondylo HB User

Jenteal,
Funny you mention this. I have had tightness in my left leg in that very area for a number of years, but never made this connection with my knees as it is both legs, but both are usually tight (hamstrings, too). I also have spondylolisthesis grade II and I think that may be affecting it. Thank you for the heads up on the medication. I do medical transcription and I type for a pain management center, but I have never heard of this one!! Maybe it would help my back, too. I am currently getting off of Lortab and Ultram because of the side effects. Haven't had much success with the anti-inflammatories for my back, but willing to try. Thank you so much.

Closed Thread