It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
(male)

FLAWLESS HB User
Someties I wake up with hangover symptoms, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very wrong

I have been suffering with this for the last maybe 10 years, and doctors don't seem to want to help much...
It happens about once every two weeks, sometimes weekly or more.

I wake up feeling like I have a horrible hangover, and I don't drink. Here are my symptoms:
-Severe headache, usually migraine (although almost all my headaches eventually develop into migraines).
-Neck pain, but this is always apparent with any of my headaches. I get frequent migraines.
-Terrible shakiness.
-Diziness, to the point I can't function.
-Weakness.
-Sometimes nausea.
-Often sinus pressure, but not always.
This usually begins to improve around 3:00pm or so, and I'm normally fine by 6:00pm or so. But sometimes it lasts all day (like today).

As you can understand, this is very upsetting, and interferes with my life. I don't know when it will hit, and when it does, my entire day is shot and there's nothing that makes me feel better. I usually can't sleep it off successfully, since the symptoms are so strong, almost flu-like.

I don't have any serious medical conditions that I know of, other than migraines and some allergies (although I haven't been tested for any food allergies).

Some more facts about me that may help: My energy levels are almost never even 50%, I'm always drowsy. Sometimes I feel like I can't carry on unless I get some sleep. My stress levels are about the same as the average American I'd assume. My diet is far from perfect, but probably better than the average. I get a decent amount of exercize. I take a multivitamin. I'm 28, male, 145lb. My weight has been the same for 10 years. I chew tobacco (I know, I know) but this happened even when I quit for a year. I get very shaky almost every day, and eating sugary foods helps. Blood tests were fine, but sugars were "a little low", nothing serious I suppose.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it so much you have no idea. I'm tired of living in fear of waking up miserable. And I'm a little scared that there may be something serious underlying. Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by FLAWLESS; 01-29-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
(male)

stackzone HB User
Re: Someties I wake up with a severe hangover, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very wrong

There are alot of us with that symptom. I been to thousands of docs with some weird diagnosis's but nothing for sure. The only thing that one doc told me makes sense is something going on in our sleep. Maybe a sleep study maybe worth while if you already did not do it. Good luck and hope you feel better...

Old 01-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Someties I wake up with a severe hangover, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very wrong

{REMOVED}

Your symptoms sound like migraine to me, but they're not migraines? I'm a bit confused here (normal for me). What medications have you tried for migraine? They have a lot of new medications. I've heard of anti-depressants being used to treat them. Please let us know what tests the doctors gave you, and what treatments.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-30-2005 at 11:01 AM. Reason: don't react to posts on the board. If you feel that a post is inappropriate click "report bad post".

Old 01-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

gemmy200 HB User

My mother has had alot of these symptoms for a long time, and she has major sinus problems. You already said you had sinus trouble too. Sinuses can mess you up in many diffrent ways....just a thought!

Old 01-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
(male)

FLAWLESS HB User

I do in fact suffer from migraines, and am taking Imitrex 50mg which usually helps. But the incidents I'm speaking of include a migraine, but are a total body illness, just like the flu or a hangover (with a migraine). Do you think a migraine in itself could make me this sick?

I have sinusitis (I think that's what the doc told me) and allergies, and I had a deviated septum for which I had surgery, although I'm not convinced the surgery was 100% successful, since my sinuses aren't much better, and if I feel my septum with my fingers it feels very curved, not straight.

I also forgot to mention that I have acid reflux which makes me feel pretty crummy sometimes, and I wonder if certain foods trigger acid reflux, which triggers a migraine. At times, I'll eat dinner, and 5 min. later, my nose completely blocks up solid, and a migraine usually follows within 1 hour. This self diagnosis is driving me nuts, but I can't find a doctor to take it seriously.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

gemmy200 HB User

If you have acid reflux then definately...YES, certain foods can and will cause it to act up. My mother also suffers from migranes and takes imitrex, she has the neck pain, and most of the other symptoms you described. As I said before, she has terrible sinus problems, and arthiritis in her neck and upper back, so she generally feels bad all the time.Your problems sound allergy/sinus related.Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #7

washee HB User

When this happens have you eaten large amounts of sugary food? Have you been tested for Diabetes?

Old 01-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
(male)

FLAWLESS HB User

Well, I had a blood test after fasting, and my doctor said my sugars were "a little low" but told me not to worry much about it. I worry about diabetes since I am shaky almost all the time and sugary foods cure this feeling, and I urinate all the time (although I drink tons of water, but I still think I go much more than normal). Is there another way to test other than blood, or something specific they may have not looked for? I'd like them to check a little more into that once I get my new health ins. (30 days).
Thanks again for all the replies and concern.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
(male)

Charlie P. HB User

Your symptoms sound like what I had about 15 years ago in about my 5th year of working as a sign painter. I discovered I was becoming allergic to oil based paint fumes. The effects didn't hit me until maybe 8 hours after painting so I didn't associate it at first. I'd be sick every morning, OK by afternoon every weekday. When I noticed I was OK saturday and Sundays I figured it out. Could you be sensitive to something your around?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

This sounds like an allergy or an intolerance, most likely to something common you eat everyday. Also, EVERYONE seems to think they have Candidiasis, but in your case, it truly sounds as if this might be causing your illness. Candida is a yeast overgrowth (it can be anywhere, but it's most likely systemic to be causing your symptoms) and it gives off hundreds of chemicals, one being acetylhyde, which is the same chemical responsible for a hangover, I believe. Either that or the chemical that causes you to feel drunk, I don't recall at this moment. It sounds farfetched, but it's much more of a common problem than people think. Candidiasis is known to cause food intolerances and food allergies, and symptoms like yours. Maybe you can just check out this route. Good luck
~Katalina

Old 02-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User
Re: Someties I wake up with a severe hangover, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very w

You described the SX's that I used to have almost to a T.

I was finally DX'ed with Nocturnal Seizures, and when I got these under control, it greatly lessened these, now they are rare.

These can make you feel so horrible the morning following them, it's really awful. Do you by chance bite inside your cheeks, or tongue, even a little bit, during the night? That can be a part of this, but does not have to be all the time. Sore neck muscles?

Although, if this has been going on for 10 years, your Dr.s would surely have figured it out by now. It took my Neuro over 2 years to DX me. What helped her, was I wet the bed one night, and she finally put it all together.

Why not go over to the Epilepsy board and look around, just out of curiousity?

Hope you get some answer's.

Donna

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
(male)

FLAWLESS HB User

Both of the previous replies are very interesting to me.
The candidiasis I did a Google on, and it seems like something I'd like to at least mention to my doctor. Worth a look...

My neck is sore 24/7. I don't know about nocturnal seizures, and I doubt my fiancee would notice since she's such a sound sleeper. I'm also doubtful my doctor would have checked for something like this, as he didn't seem to take any of this very seriously when I brought it up.

I'll look further into some of these topics and see where it leads me. Thanks again!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User
Re: Someties I wake up with a severe hangover, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very w

Nocturnal seizures can be unoticeable by your sleeping partner; my DH NEVER noticed anything. Also, many people think seizures are jerking, eyes rolled back in your head, etc. type of thing. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many kinds of seizures, which I learned when I started checking into them after my DX.

The only time my DH ever saw anything unusual, was when we were on vacation, and he was lying in bed awake, while I was still asleep. He asked me later when I got up if I had bitten my tongue earlier in bed, and told him I had; I asked why and he said right before he got up, I was shaking lightly in my sleep, and he started to nudge me, then when I stopped he let me sleep without bothering me.

Also, I forgot to mention, smelling an odd or awful odor, especially in the middle of the night can be a tip off. This has happened to me, and I would wake up nauseous from it. My Neuro says that is an aura, which is in her opinion a seizure in itself.

This, probably from having this for a while, along with the meds I take, have affected my cognitive ability enough that I cannot work and do my office job effectively that I was awarded SSDI. I lost 2 jobs because of this.

So, anything is possible and worth looking into. Have you ever seen a Neuro?

Sorry for rambling on

Donna

Old 02-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User
Talking Re: Someties I wake up with hangover symptoms, BUT I DON'T DRINK! Something is very wrong

hello
My mum has a lot of the same symptoms as you mention, especially the waking up feeling like you have a hangover. She used to get that practically everyday.
She has ME or chronic fatigue syndrome, this affects the immune system and causes extreme tiredness and exhaustion, pains in the joints and muscles, headaches (mum gets migraine too), dizzy spells and feeling weak. Along with other symptoms. She also gets slightly low BSL's when she doesn't eat regularly.
It can be very difficult to diagnose and treat. Mum went on an elimination diet where she cut out loads of stuff and then reintroduced things slowly. She discovered that wheat and dairy make her heaps worse, she also can't drink alcohol. At the moment she is off work with it, and has been for the last 6months, but her last bad bout was 6 years ago and she has been back to work in between times.
It is often triggered by a virus, but stress can set it off too.
It may be worth trying an elimination diet as it has made such a difference to mum, but make sure you speak to your dr about it first.
Hope this helps.
Blue

Old 02-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Candidiasis is accepted by some doctors, but many docs think that only the severely immune-compromised or those with HIV/AIDS have a Candida overgrowth. Many believe you have to have thrush, but this just isn't true, as it isn't always in ALL parts of your body. Some lucky few have been treated with the help of their PCP's, but many are just labeled as hypochondriacs because there isn't a definitive test that doctors are AWARE of. There is a place called the Great Smokies Laboratories that does yeast stool testing. You can look it up online. Also, you can get the measurement of acetylhyde in your blood, because Candida gives off acetylhyde and gives you that drunk-like feeling. Also, as blue banana said, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has many of the same symptoms, and there are studies being done between the connection between yeast and CFS. Elimination diets do make a big difference for a lot of people. Once again, I wish you the best of luck with a diagnosis.
~Katalina

Closed Thread