It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
White blood count ranges..

What is considered a 'normal' range for WBC? I have bronchitis and I am not getting over it that well. My dr did a cbc yesterday and my wbc was 4.4 which she said was low, as mine is usually around 7. Anyone know?

Edit: I was also very dehydrated and she said that it affected my rbc making it seem as though it were higher than it actually was... could my wbc actually be even lower?

Last edited by twizliz; 02-02-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: White blood count ranges..

don't have a clue.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

The ranges are 4.0 to 10.5 - this was on a big blood test sheet my husband just got back from the doctor - 4.4 is in the low range, but not LOW low...

Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BSNboyNJ HB User

The normal WBC range is 4.5-13.5. Usually WBC counts increase during infection. Is she planning on doing anything about this?

Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

well I'm on antibiotics for the bronchitis and ear infection, but I'm not feeling any better.. in fact at some points I feel worse and my fever has been higher. I've been on antibiotics since last wednesday.. over a week ago

Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BSNboyNJ HB User

How high is the fever? Sometimes it takes a while for antibiotics to reduce the bacteria enough to allievate symptoms. There are many things (stress, lack of sleep ect) that can cause low WBC's, which might prolong your illness. If your not getting much better after about 10 days I would call your doctor. Some bacteria are resitant to certain antibiotics.

*Message is the opinion of this user and is not professional medical advice*

Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

4.5 to 10.5 is in the normal range, I have leukopenia and neutropenia, my WBC is around 2.5 to 3.0 and my neutrophils are 1.0 or so, it has been this way now for over a year and all we're doing is keeping an eye on it. I seem to get infections easily and I also have pernicous anemia(B12 def)Drs don't normally get concerned unless it drops below 3.5 and steadily continues to drop over a period of time. During the course of this last year I have stayed around 2.5 to 3.0, not good but it didn't drop lower. I get blood draw every 3 months now, take supplements, eat as good as possible and try to stay away from people I know are sick. I could have alot of different treatments but they are dangerous he said and since Im not declining or even being really sick all the time it is just a watch and see. When I do get a infection and my blood is drawn the wbc is at 3.2, it's called an exhausted immune system, at least that is what he calls mine, I see a hematologist/oncologist.

Last edited by NancyH; 02-03-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

The normal range for leukocytes, or white blood cells, is 4,500-10,000 per microliter of blood. Your reading of "4.4" falls just below what is considered normal and is probably nothing to get worked up about. Leukopenia occurs when your white cell count falls below 4,000 cells/microliter. This is usually seen in people with viral infections, overwhelming bacterial infections and bone marrow disorders. You, at 4,400 cells/microleter still fall above this range. Your count is definitely on the low end, but most likely not cause for alarm.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #9

rubindj HB User

Also, in most cases if you have a bacterial infection your WBC should be higher than normal with a "shift" evident.

You may want to see your doctor after your feeling better to get a follow-up CBC to determine if it was a stress issue or if something else is going on.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I read that it would increase if it were bacterial, as well. My dr said that it looked viral, since it was lower.

I had my wbc done a month ago and it was 7 at the time.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 AM   #11
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubindj View Post
Also, in most cases if you have a bacterial infection your WBC should be higher than normal with a "shift" evident.

You may want to see your doctor after your feeling better to get a follow-up CBC to determine if it was a stress issue or if something else is going on.
I just had some kidney stone fragments removed in the hospital yesterday and before they were sugically removed, they did a blood test and my WBC was 15. Could that have been from the pain or the stones? Can allergies make it higher because I got pretty stuffed up in my room at the hospital.

Thanks for sharing!!

Closed Thread