It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

lynellt HB User
Unknown pain in upper left lung

For the past five days I have been having a strange pain in my left lung. It all started Sunday afternoon. I was taking a nap and was woken up by the sound of my heart, it was beating very fast and I notice I was having trouble breathing. I could get small shallow breaths but not a deep satisfying breath. This happens to me often so I did not think much of it. About a half hour after this started I got a sudden sharp pain in my upper back. It felt like I had been stab with a knife, and at this time it became very difficult to breathe and very painful. I did not want to make a big deal out of it so I tried to ignore it and hope it would go away on its own. A few hours went by and I was not feeling any better and still having a hard time breathing, the top of my chest and throat felt very tight. I thought that if I could just get a deep breath the pain would stop, so I asked a friend if I could barrow his inhaler. This was a mistake; the inhaler intensified the pain so badly that I could not even walk. The pain was so bad I was shaking all over. Another friend of mine that works at a doctor’s office had me lie down and take 2 IB prophin. After a short time the pain started to dull and I was able to breath better. Like I said in the beginning it has been five days and the pain is still there. Does anyone know what this might be; I do not have insurance and would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
(male)

cmw HB User
Re: Unknown pain in upper left lung

Without knowing any history about you, it's hard to offer any advice. Are you over 50, a smoker, over-weight? Are you coughing or running a fever? It's hard to know, but if it's still bothering you after a week or two, try and get to a doctor.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
(female)

lynellt HB User

Thank you for your reply. I am a 27 yr. old non smoker and I am not over-weight. I do not have a cough, fever or feel sick in any other way. I am concerned, the pain in relentless and gets worth every day. I will take your advice and see a doctor if it is not better by next week.

Last edited by lynellt; 02-11-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BSNboyNJ HB User
Post Re: Unknown pain in upper left lung

Hi lynelly, there are many things that can cause the symptoms you're describing. Caffine, anxiety, athsma can all cause heart palpatations. The "shaking all over" feeling might have been a side effect of the your friend's inhaler. You really shouldn't use someone else's meds. Some of the symptoms you have described can be caused by pericarditis, an infection around the heart. This is usally associated with a low grade fever. It is usually self-limiting but can become complicted. As a general rule, if your over 45 and are having chest pain and difficulty breathing, you should seek help right away. At your age, you still want to get in and see your doc if this continues (and five days of those symptoms is long enough).

Old 02-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

could be a collapsed lung., an air pocket inside the lung rupturing - if it's not that bad it could heal on it's own, but I think you should get to a doctor to look into it - if it doesn't heal, infection and all could occur.
Many times a collapsed lung can occur in healthy people and for no known reason.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

You should see a Dr tho! It could also be costochondritis, inflamation of the cartiledge between the ribs, I get it when I strain too much or just out of the blue feels like a knife stab in the ribs and the tension causes you to have trouble breathing. You could also be experiencing diaphram spasms and that will limit your ability to breath cuz of the spasms. You may be feeling it in the lung area but it may be in the ribs. There is a slew of reasons for those symptoms, I know what they turned out to be for me but only a Dr can give the tests to find out.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
could be a collapsed lung., an air pocket inside the lung rupturing - if it's not that bad it could heal on it's own, but I think you should get to a doctor to look into it - if it doesn't heal, infection and all could occur.
Many times a collapsed lung can occur in healthy people and for no known reason.

I can relate to that. I developed a pain in my side, almost like a pulled muscle, which is what I thought it was. A week later the pain was still there, but along with the pain I was short of breath. The doctor said I had pneumonia and pleurisy and I was sent home on tylenol 3 and antibiotics. The next day it was way worse and I went back to the hospital in so much pain. I was told that in addition to the pneumonia and pleurisy, that I now had fluid around the lung, a collapsed lung, and possibly a blood clot in my lung. I was in hospital for a couple weeks.

It's gotten better, but I still have that pain in my side that started it all. At first the doctor thought it was a fractured rib, but it's been months now and the pain is still there. It's painful when I breathe in too deep, sneeze, cough, burp, hiccup.

I'm at my wits end with it though. I almost burst into tears when I feel a sneeze about to happen because I know that it will hurt alot.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
(female)

lynellt HB User

Thank you all for your replys, I did finally go to the emergency room. The pain was just getting worse. I was told that it is Pleurisy and I was sent home with some Anti inflammatory pain pills, which do nothing for the pain? I am a little skeptical with the diagnosis because it does not seem to be getting any better. I am just going to take it easy for a little while in hopes it will go away. If not I will go back. Thanks again for all of your help.

Closed Thread