It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
(male)

DLink01 HB User
Question about Waist Size.....

I am so confused about my weight and so forth.

I used to be around 220 and my size 36 jeans were always stretched VERY, VERY tight. I even bought some 38 pants. I am about 6'2 too.

Due to Mono and such....I dropped down to 185 and am now back up to 192. Though I must say its been months since the Mono so I am eating and so forth and not just gaining back weight left and right.

Now, my 38 sized jeans are way too big for me...they fall off me if I don't hold them up. But my size 36 jeans still fit me good. Sometimes I think they are a bit tight but I use the whole "I washed them a day ago" excuse too much.

How the heck am I nearly 25 pounds lighter yet my jeans aren't that much looser?

Is a size 36 "fat" for a 6'2 guy?

Since I have lost the weight, I am VERY, VERY concerned about gaining it back.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Question about Waist Size.....

Exercise will go a long ways in tightening up your muscles and reducing the inches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

You can't go by pants sizes to tell if someone is thin or fat or whatever. My aunts legs/thighs LOOKED the same size as mine when I was about 20, she was a size 9, I was a size 3! (and we BOTH were 5'6") Also, you can't go by what the scales say because muscle weighs a LOT more than fat. My husband has 38 pants, is 195 pounds and is 5'9"... his gut is a little bigger than it should be, but otherwise there's NO one that would call him fat.
Your question of "How the heck am I nearly 25 pounds lighter, yet my jeans aren't that much looser" would fit with the muscle/fat ratio - if you were sick you probably lost a lot of muscle tone - muscle turned into "fat" and being that that is LIGHTER the scales are showing less pounds, but your body SIZE isn't much different. Make sense?

Old 03-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran

camden HB User

My husband is about 170 lbs and he wears a 34" waist pant although I'm not actually sure of his waist measurement. When he was down to about 155lbs he still wore the same pants but they were a little loose and he needed a belt.

I can tell you that all of my pants fit whether I weigh 150lbs or 165lbs and I don't feel much of a difference in how they fit no matter what I weigh (wish I did then I would know when I put on a few pounds!). I can also tell you that when I go from 165lbs to 150lbs I only lose between one and two inches in my waist.

You go ahead and use that "just washed them" excuse as it happens to be true. I hate when I wear a pair of pants and they feel so comfortable then you wash them and they are tight in places and you feel like you have gained ten lbs. I have had days when I swear I must have gained 5lbs only to get on the scale and find I haven't gained a thing. I always put on the fresh washed pants and do a few squats and lunges to stretch the legs, then I put my thumbs in the waist and pull out to stretch that .

It also shouldn't matter if we think you are the "right" size. If you think you need to work on yourself then by all means, do it. If not then don't. I also don't think you should worry about the sizes of the clothes you wear. I can tell you that I have clothes that range from size 10-18 and they all fit but not all size tens in the store fit me (most don't!) and not all 18's fit me either. Not all clothing companies have the same sizing standard. I wish they did because I wouldn't have to try on 20 pairs of jeans only to walk away empty handed.

Everyone is built different. Every shirt I buy is either too big through the chest or too small everywhere else. Almost every pair of pants I own are too tight in the thighs and hanging in the waist. I am an average of a size 14 through the chest and a 10-12 for the rest of my top. I am a 12 waist and a 16 thigh and somewhere between petite and regular for the length of my pants. I could probably lose 30 lbs and still not fit into anything properly. Do I need to lose 30 lbs...it probably wouldn't hurt but I judge my body by the way I feel in it. I can honestly say that at 160 and up I feel uncomfortable in my skin. My fat and skin bunches up and pinches me, I can't sit or lay down comfortably and it just really annoys me because I am always aware of it, not because I see it but because I feel it. If I weigh under 160lbs I feel (literally) much better in my body because nothing is pinching or bunching!

Sorry for the long post! I think you should be proud of the fact that your tight, tight pants now fit you! Now you will need moderate exercise and a nutritional diet to keep them that way (easier said than done). Good luck to you!

Old 03-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
Veteran

bluetooth HB User

clothing standard sizes from different companies are weird. i take different sizes everywhere. im 5'4 and about 151 pounds, i have to wear a size 14 in most things but i can get away with a 12. need to shift 10 lbs though!
you could have lost your weight all around your body and not just from your hips bum and legs, thats what i think
good luck but i wouldnt worry about it to much, just keep healthy

Closed Thread