It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Child Touched someones Urine? can that spread a disease? Worried

Hey Guys I am a bit worried i just came form teh doctors office because my kids have a stomach virus, but while at the doc's office I went with one of my girls to teh bathroom and she wanted urinate and i took our portable potty with us, but then she grabbed on to teh adult toilet that was near by and there was urine there, so a little got on her fingers, I immediately washed her hand and wiped them with antivbacrterial wipes, and after that with some antibacterial gel, my goodness but i just read that AIDS can be transmiited through contact with urine, I am a bit nervous now, what do you guys think? what worries me is that she sucks her thumb all day
this has never happened before and it is concerning me so very much any advice?

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-13-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
(male)

vadiv_mt HB User
Re: Child Touched someones Urine? can that spread a disease? Worried

AIDS is only transmitted through blood, semen and vaginal fluid. It is not transmitted through urine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

sahaira HB User

Wow- you really worry to much!! Urine is steirle and no bacteria can live in urine outside the body for more than 5 seconds. I would be MUCH more worried about her touching the toilet itself not the urine!!
There is absolutely NO way she would get AIDS from that especially since you washed her hands so well.

Last edited by sahaira; 04-13-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello guys Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate it and YES you are right I do worry too much, but I guess I am a bit too over protective.

anyway I was also worried about her touching the toilet, even though I cleaned her hands pretty good, what diseases can errupt from this, I was also thinking that probbaly most kids at one point also touch toilets and get in contact with urine, and nothing happens to them, but of course i am a worry wart!!! Thanks for helping m out though I appreciate it.
oh this is the article i found online

Urine and Feces.
Urine is the body's fluid waste. Feces is the body's solid waste. HIV is present in urine. Feces seems to contain HIV, and statistical studies conducted among homosexual males suggests that exposure to feces can transmit HIV

Old 04-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

sahaira HB User

I can tell you something...I just to drink to much as a teenager and the amount of toilets I have touched or sat next while throwing it all back up is amazing!! I was never sick... Also my father is a doctor and while in greece with him I had a fear of using the bathrooms there. He sat me down and slowly explained to me HOW hard it was to get sick from the bathroom and there are not germs just waiting to grab my bum!! It was funny. Go online and search for Urine Sterile... you will find many articles about that. I am surprised anything says that you can catch HIV from urine... I can promise you your child will not get any diseases from touching the toilet

Last edited by sahaira; 04-13-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes you are so right!

the internet does help but at times it does confuse us, for instance my daughters have a stomach virus called rota- virus and the doc says that i should give them keopectate for diarrhea, and I just read online that we shouldnt give any diarrhea meds, because it can prolong the virus, that kind of made sense but who knos it is confusing.... thx for your help aside from helping you gave me a good laugh!

Old 04-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Dr.s like to give a lot of meds. The advice you heard online seems more plausible. It lets the virus run it course and leave the body. Diarrea (sp?) meds help hold the virus in and only control the symptoms they don't cure. Thats why I like the internet. You can make your own informed decisions instead of the decisions of one person.

Closed Thread