It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

sugzey$ HB User
Peeling Inside Mouth

I have posted about the peeling inside my mouth before. I still have it and none of my doctors can tell me what is causing it. It is more behind the upper and lower lip than all over inside my mouth and more dead skin accumulates around the front and top teeth at night that anytime during the day. There are tiny tiny little bumps on the inside of my lower lip and it is tender when I brush my teeth. I thought it might be my sensitive toothpaste that I have been using for a long time but I quit using that for 4 or 5 days and I could not tell any difference in the peeling. I have mycobaterium avium complex (bacteria in my lungs and I think in my stomach also) and bronchieactasis in my lungs. Neither my pulmonologist or infectious disease doctors think that either of the two listed conditions would have anything to do with my mouth peeling inside. My infectious disease doctor called an ENT doctor and the ENT doctor said he had never heard of peeling inside the mouth. I hurt in the abdomen right around the navel area every night. An allergy doctor told me that he thought the hurting was coming from the infected phlegm, etc. that comes from my lungs and goes into my stomach. That is why I think the peeling may be connected to whatever is going on in my stomach. Just had lots of bloodwork done and the results were all good. Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Peeling Inside Mouth

This type of peeling occurs from a mild chemical irritation and will go away after a few days of stopping the cause. It is like an unintended chemical peel.

Examples of causes are: water softeners, chlorine, mouthwashes, toothpastes with special detergents (such as tartar control or complete formulas), overuse of lozenges, mints, and chewable vitamins. You can also get this from taking powdered aspirin formulas and phenol containing agents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

If my husband uses the wrong toothpaste the inside of his mouth peals. Did you say you use sensodyne toothpaste? That stuff makes me get sores all over in my mouth that are painful. Try switching to a different toothpaste and don't use any type of mouthwash for two weeks. 4 or 5 days is probably not enough for an allergic reaction like that to go away. It would take time to heal. Just a thought.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Thank you Kari. Yes, I have been using Sensitive Crest Toothpaste for a long long time. I have stopped on several occasions and went to regular toothpaste and it didn't seem to help any. I am going to try again for at least a week to see if it helps. I am also drinking bottled water starting yesterday to see if the water has anything to do with it. I would give anything to find the cause of it. Thanks again. Ann

Old 04-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Everyone is different but the my husband says he can use Aqua fresh extreme clean whitening, Regular Aim or regular Close Up toothpaste. If he uses Listerine toothpaste and it peals an entire layer of skin off of the inside of his mouth. Try it for two weeks to make sure. That is just a list of safe ones for him. Hope it helps.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
(female)

emilysgk HB User

This happens on the inside of my cheeks sometimes. For me its usually if I have been drinking to much cola type soda. I figure its the acidity in the drink. Any drinks like this, or maybe some sort of salty food could be a cause also. Its more than likely going to be a tough process of elimination that will eventually get you results.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I have this chronically, and have since childhood. I'm sure mine is from carbonation, dehydration, and an addiction to spicy and acidic foods. I love Vinegar and Salt potato chips, and I get it really bad all over my mouth and tongue when I eat them. My tongue actually has permanent splits in the top layer.

Also, when the peeling first began in childhood, I developed a bad habit of picking and chewing those areas. I still do it, and the more I pick, rub, or chew, the worse it is. I can take a fingernail and scrape it across the inside of my cheek and come up with a big roll of skin. It's gross. But old habits die hard!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 04-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Thanks for all your responses. I don't drink very many colas and don't eat very much real salty foods. I haven't used my sensitive toothpaste in two days now, no lipstick with SPF in it, and drinking and cooking with bottled water. My lips inside today are worse than yesterday and my top lip is now staying chapped. I don't think the chapped top lip is from dehydration because I think I get enough water. I am trying not to get anything that I use on my face to cleanse with, etc. on my lips. The only thing I can think of that I might get more of than most folks is oatmeal most every morning(except I didn't eat any this morning) and I put raisins in it every time. I don't believe that I eat too many foods that would cause me to get too much acid. I cleanse my face every night with Aqua Glycolic Cleanser but I don't get it in my mouth. Toughest thing I have ever seen to figure out!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
(female)

fluffytoes HB User

I had this too and it was horrible. I had been using sensodyne toothpaste and dentyl mouthwash I stopped using both and it doesn't happen anymore. I used Colgate sensitive and that seems to be better.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

OK here is another idea. Deficiencies in B vitamins can cause pealing around the edges of the lips and on the lips. I used to have pealing at the corners of my lips really bad. The skin on my face at the corners. I had never heard that B vitamin deficiency can cause this. I know I did not have a healthy diet at that time. I fought it all of the time by scrubbing off the dead skin. Later in life I started becoming really aware of nutrition. That was about 15 years ago. I started concentrating on eating all of my food groups every day and I also took B vitamins. I did not know that there was a connection with the pealing at the corners of my mouth with the B vitamins I was taking and the nutritious food I was eating until later but once I started doing that the pealing went away completely. I looked back on it later realizing that is what was going on. That is one of the signs of B vitamin deficiency.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
(female)

Oldbones HB User
Arrow Re: Peeling Inside Mouth

sugzey$..... I was happy to hear that I'm not the only person who has this peeling mouth problem. Until I read your post, I had never known of anyone (other than me) with peeling jaws. My peeling is in my inside jaw areas. If I use Crest toothpaste, it's like it burns the top layer of skin off and it will peel off in stringy threads the next mornng. Rather disgusting. My mouth would never burn when I was brushing my teeth but I would see the sloughing within a few hours. I never realized it was the toothpaste until I started using Colgate and rarely have any peeling now. I've tried using a couple of other brands but my mouth starts peeling again. I think I'm just sensitive to stronger toothpaste.

Oldbones

The Following User Says Thank You to Oldbones For This Useful Post:
marion galloway (02-24-2012)
Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
(female)

lily1954 HB User

I have been having trouble with peeling, burning mouth, and bumps for years. My tongue is greatly effected. I can't ever use cough drops or strong toothpastes. I have just found out that I am vitamin D deficient, which makes your mouth burn and I have hyperparathyroid which makes you have high stomach acid in your mouth. I am now using sensodyne toothpaste and taking a low dose of vitamin D. The peeling has stopped but not the burning. After surgery i will take a higher dose of vitamin d and calcium.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Thanks everyone,
My mouth is not peeling as much anymore. I am taking acidophilus pills with each meal, changed from Crest Sensitive toothpaste to regular Crest (been using Crest toothpaste for ever) and not eating as much refined sugar. I don't know which of the things that I have changed has made a difference. I think it is the acidophilus pills because I think I have excess yeast in my intestinal tract. I think I will change toothpaste though just because I having been using it so long. Crest might have added something extra to their paste that it didn't use to have in it. I get extra Vitamin D with my two calcium pills I take each day and I drink milk most every day. I take a Centrum Silver vitamin pill each day which gives me a lot of the vitamins that I need. Thanks again to all who responded to me.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
(female)

thinkingofu2day HB User

Any of you have something like this?

Last week the inside of my mouth felt raw. And my lower lip was peeling too.
But this week everything is back to normal.

Strange
Hope that is the end of it.

Closed Thread