It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

relyt HB User
How are lymph nodes supposed to feel?

I was wondering, if you are very thin, is it normal to feel your lymph nodes in your groin? If so, how are they supposed to feel (like size, texture, etc) and how many are you supposeed to feel?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
(male)

Peter0690 HB User
Re: How are lymph nodes supposed to feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt
I was wondering, if you are very thin, is it normal to feel your lymph nodes in your groin? If so, how are they supposed to feel (like size, texture, etc) and how many are you supposeed to feel?
im also thin and i feel nodes about pea sized it my groin aswell so dont worry if you die i will die with you! hehe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

relyt HB User

thanks for your reply, are they hard or soft or what? are they easy to feel? sorry for these questions but I am paranoid that something is wrong with me!!

Old 04-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Usually lymph nodes are about the size of a pea they should stay under about 2cm. They usually are smooth and moveable. If they are painful your probably fighting some type of infection but if they are hard and painless you should have them checked if they stay that way for more than a few weeks.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
(male)

help0001 HB User

Yeah, I think sometimes they come up and then refuse to go back down. When I had some nodes come up I always kept poking and squeezing mine. Its just a matter of leaving them a lone really.

The Following User Says Thank You to help0001 For This Useful Post:
peyto008 (06-20-2012)
Old 04-19-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
(male)

help0001 HB User

Just keep an eye on its size. Sometimes they will go down and come back up again. But sometimes they just stay enlarged and remain for a long period of time. Apparently from my research, lymph nodes can sometimes take really long to go back down. Its just patience really. What I would recommend though is just keep note of its size, and make sure that its about the same size as it is now. Obviously if it does get larger then its time to get it checked out. But because it is the same size and hasn't enlarged I think its probably just a normal lymph node that has remained enlarged. How old are you, by the way?

Old 04-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
(female)

zeez HB User
Wink Re: How are lymph nodes supposed to feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterfrank
im also thin and i feel nodes about pea sized it my groin aswell so dont worry if you die i will die with you! hehe
Well, I will die with the both of you!
Excellent question! I'd wondered the same thing. I too am very thin and feel the pea-sized ones but also have almond-sized ones as well. My internist referred me to an ob/gyn - yes they are enlarged. She did a sonogram, CBC, thyroid, hormone test - all normal. She referred me back to the internist who referred me to an onocologist. I am going for a ct-scan Thursday. And worried sick. This has been going on since early March.

Anyway, the pea-sized ones are hard but the almond-size ones are soft. Neither are painful. I have not been sick either. I guess that's why I was referred to an onocologist.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be a thread hog. I thought it might be helpful to know how they aren't supposed to feel. When I feel up to it I'm gonna post a history of what tests I've been through and let ya'll know the results. In my own thread of course!
~zeez

Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 AM   #8
(female)

relyt HB User

zeez - yeah i think that is how mine feel...pea sized and hard, like little 'beads' under the skin. the only thing is that i first noticed them 6 months ago and they still feel exactly the same size, etc. they could have been there all my life and i wouldn't have known.
so your dr said they were enlarged? i've read that they are supposed to be pea-sized and that doesn't mean they are enlarged. hmm..
i wish you luck with the ct scan and please let us know how everything turns out!

Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

pea sized are normal..I think she was referring to the almond sized ones..Sometimes nodes become reactive and the constant touching and poking can keep them this way. It can take a node hours to enlarge from bacterial or viral infection, but it can take up to 3 months for them to return to pea size and longer (and sometimes never) if they are being poked and checked every day!! Hope this helps

Old 04-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
(female)

zeez HB User

Yeah, I was referring to the almond sized ones as being enlarged. When I am standing you can actually see them poking out. I'm really hoping this turns out to be nothing. I'm glad to know the pea-size ones are considered "normal". That makes me feel better! I have subscribed to this post and I'll let ya know what I find out. All though if something does come up I should start my own thread so I can give helpful info to others.
~zeez
PS I am NOT looking forward to drinking that barium junk tonight and tomorrow. They are doing scans on my neck, stomach, and groin. I'll feel so much better when this is all over!

Closed Thread