It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User
Question Taking Care of Sick Sister! Please Help!!

My parents are away on a trip so I am taking care of my sister and myself, even though she's just 2 and a half years younger than me. Yesterday she wasn't acting like her self at all and she was getting tired really easy. When she got up this morning she started complaining that she felt nauseous, was kind of pale, felt generally and that she had a fever. Which she did it was around 100 about a hour ago. She's been resting most of the day, but her stomach is still really bothering her, and she's only gagged a couple of time, almost like dry heaving. What should I do if she starts throwing up? Should I stay with her or not? I've seen people put clothes on other's foreheads and back of the necks when they are vomiting, does that really help anything? Should I make her sleep in the bathroom or put a bucket by her head? I've heard that water makes vomiting and nausea worse is that true? and if it is then what should I give her to keep her from getting dehydrated? How often should I take her temperature? I would greatly appricate any tips that you all have for me so I can help my sister feel better.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Taking Care of Sick Sister! Please Help!!

Do you have a neighbor, relative, or family friend that you can call? Or a number where you can reach your parents? It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed, and like you could use some help. Call somebody and talk to them, or have them come over to help you.

Your sister is probably fine, just some sort of virus or something. If she is feeling like she may throw up, give her a bowl or a pan in case she can't make it to the bathroom in time. If she is allowed to have it, you could try some tylenol (acetominophen) to bring down her fever. Give her clear liquids (water, clear soda, juice) and foods like toast or crackers. If her fever gets very high, if she passes out, if you can't wake her up, if she vomits uncontrollably, if she vomits blood, or if anything else weird or scary happens, call an ambulance. Otherwise, just let her rest and keep her comfortable.

But ideally, find an adult friend of the family who can look in on you, or call your parents ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

She may have a case of the flu. (SHe doesn't have any injuries, does she? She didn't hit her head?) Yes, you should stay with her (you didn't mention how old she is). The cloths on the forehead are to lower the temperature and doesn't treat the nausea. She needs to stay hydrated, so you may want to give her sips of Gator-ade, or PEdia-lite (which will help manage her electrolytes). Keep taking her temperature. If it climbs any higher than say, 101 degrees, then you should try to call the family doctor. I know this is Friday but if she does have the flu, having you around will be a comfort to her. And, if it is more serious than the flu, you will need to be there to watch her and make a move to the ER if necessary. Can she take Tylenol? You might want to give her two regular strenght Tylenol to help reduce the fever if she is older than twelve. Does she have any allergies? chris

Old 04-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User

She's 15. No she didn't hit her head she just woke up not feeling well. I've already given her tylenol. I don't think she's got any medicine allergies.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Please, please don't make her sleep in the bathroom!!!! Unless you have a very plush bathroom, let her stay in a comfortable bed. Would you like to sleep in the bathroom if you were sick??

Just put her to bed and put a pan right next to the bed on the floor. Make sure she is warm enough and give her acetominaphin or ibuprofen whichever is your choice.

I have a 16 yr old daughter. If you can stay with her that would be great. I know my daughter likes to be "taken care of" and I like to "take care of her" when I can. But, if you have to work or whatever, I think she'll be okay on her own (as long as she doesn't have a sleeping bag in the bathroom )

I agree with cflas, if she gets really bad take her to the ER, or if you can get her to the doc soon that would be good.

Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!!
Angela

Old 04-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If she is still not feeling well, i would do the obvious thing here and call your parents.They should at least be notified that their daughter is not feeling well.I wouldn't care if I was on vacation or not,i would want to at least be called so I could find out just what is going on and could offer some advice.I also think since this really seems to be stressing you out that just talking with your mom and getting some reassurance right now would really help you alot.

how is your sister feeling today?it really sounds like she might have just picked up some sort of virus somewhere.actual flu does not involve vomiting or diariah.it is more an all over acheyness and profound headache and feeling like you have been hit by a bus.what all have you done so far with her?i would not give tylenol anymore unless her temp gets up into around 101 or on up.The reason the fever happens is that your body is fighting the virus.If you keep knocking down a low grade fever with tylenol, you are inhibiting the bodies natural fighting abilities.Unless she needs the tylenol for pain issues i would maybe keep it on the back burner for now til she may need it if that temp really starts to climb.I normally don't treat a fever in my kids unless it hits around 102.i hope things are better today.Can you give us an update/Hopefully this will all be over soon.it seems that most of those little "bugs" that we pick up from time to time really have a rather short lifeaspan of aound 24-48 hours.Hang in there,and we are here if you have any more questions.marcia

Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

when we were little even if we felt like we were going to get sick my mom would make a spend the night the bathroom....cold on that tile floor but it saved our carpets from horrible stains when we were younger.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User

Her fever's gone down from 100.3 that it had been last night. She's threw up like 6 times last night and 2 today, now she's mainly dry heaving. She's been sleeping alot which is good. But now I'm also not feeling all that great. Kind of run down and my stomach's a little iffy and I just feel chilly. Gosh, I hope I am not getting what she has, I felt bad enough watching her go threw what she's been going threw and I definately don't want to go threw it myself. I still don't know how in the world I am going to take care of her if I start getting sick myself? I called my parents but there's really nothing they can do I mean their in the middle of the ocean in Alaska on a cruise. But we've got neighbors and family friends that we can call if something goes really wrong.

Thanks.

P.S. When I start throwing up I actually like lying on the tile for a little while. I like the coldness of it against my cheeks and forehead.

Last edited by Eliz-Beth; 04-23-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User

My sister's feeling better almost 100% better, which is excellent. But me on the other hand is not. I am still feeling terrible, I've had a 100.4 fever all day, had 2 migraines, and I can't keep any food down and hardly anything liquids. I went to my doctor today and he said that it was just the stomach flu and that I would get over it in a couple of days or so and to take medicine to keep my temperature under control. But I really don't think it's just the stomach flu. I mean do can stomach flu's really last for over 2 days? My sister's trying her best to comfort me and help me feel better, so I am thankful for that.

I have to go she's yelling to me to get off my laptop and try and see if I can drink the water she just gave me.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

aww, feel better! its prob just he flu u caught form your sister. keep drinking.. something.

"Please, please don't make her sleep in the bathroom!!!! Unless you have a very plush bathroom, let her stay in a comfortable bed. Would you like to sleep in the bathroom if you were sick??" , lol, ruby, i actually prefered to sleep on the bathroom floor, then in my bed, when i was sick.(like throwing, fever) it made me feel sooo much better.. i guess the coolness of tile helped me.. lol, when i was sick, when i was younger, i used to go to the bathroom, and go to sleep right on the tile.. and when i woke up, i usually felt better.

Closed Thread