It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Brusing down arm after blood drawn...

I had my blood drawn on Thursday and now there is bruising all the way from where my arm folds...down to my wrist. My entire arm also aches. I was just wondering if this is something to be concerned about. I have blood drawn all the time and this has never happened before.

Thanks,
Hilery

Old 04-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: Brusing down arm after blood drawn...

It sounds like the phlebotomist/nurse nicked an artery while doing the blood draw. If the needle is put in too far it will go through the vein and into the artery. Blood runs under the skin and leaves an almighty bruise. I've been a phlebotomist for a few years and have seen this happen before. The bruise could take quite a while to heal but if your arm is still aching by Monday you could ask your doctor to take a look at it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

cutiecat HB User

Same thing happened to me. I had a medical assistant in training mess my arm up as well I had a huge bruise and my arm was throbbing and aching even felt a bit cold for a few days. Luckily mine didnt require a trip back to the doctor. I will never let a trainee draw blood again!

Old 04-30-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks so much for your replys!
It's gotten a lot worse tonight. My entire forearm is black and blue. I guess I just don't understand why the bruising would go down so far from where the needle went in. I've never seen anything like it. The main bruise is a long thick line that goes down my forearm...it's very dark with red spots. And, then there are a few other bruises on my forearm area. It just looks so awful.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

What you are seeing is gravity taking over and pulling the old blood down.this is normal.it will all disapate soon.FB

Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

i agree with feelbad it is gravity pulling down. Was the phelbotimist able to draw blood or did they have to stick you more then once? Because if if they went right through your vein they wouldnt have been able to draw blood without getting back into the vein.

I actually am going to school for testingblood and stuff and we had to learn how to draw blood. We were our own guinea pigs though haha. I think things will be fine. But they probably did hit an artery and those are a thicker and stronger then a vein. Veins can usually stop bleeding within a few mintues. Did they take the tourniquet off b4 they pulled the needle off?

Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I call the ER and ask question that I want an answer to. They may suggest either heat or cold to help at least. What a bummer!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks guys...that makes sense. Yes, she got my vein on the first try, but when she went to pull it out...she pressed the gauze down really hard over the needle before it was out and I felt a really sharp pain. I'm thinking she might have accidentally shoved the needle back in too far.
Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

she probably scrached the vein is my guess put a gash in it or something and that caused it to bleed longer id assume. It was un intentional but it sucks that it happened.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

The blood that has leaked out of the artery has to be re-absorbed into the tissue and it takes a while. Yes, it'll probably be sore like a bruise. It'll probably turn every color of the rainbow and then begin to fade.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
(female)

ibtara86 HB User

Same happened to me 2 weeks ago. I still can see a bruise. It will go away, its nothing major. The nurse didnt apply enough pressure on the spot after the blood was drawn and it bled under the skin. Don't freak out.. :-)

Closed Thread