It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

kerrycats3 HB User
Twins and Cancer

I am a twin and my twin sister has had cancer twice. She had a swollen lymph node in her neck but it had not spread thank God. A year later they found cancer in her colon and she had to have surgery to remove the back 6" of her colon. It will be 8 years this July since that happen so maybe she is cancer free. I sure hope so. I have not had any cancer as yet. I was wondering if there are any twins out there that have both had cancer. I read somewhere that if one has cancer the other has good chance of having cancer too.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
(male)

ryu1977 HB User
Re: Twins and Cancer

Some cancers run in family, such as colon cancer and stomach cancer. However, this condition is different for each person.

I think you should have general check up every year and ask for cancer screening such as colonoscopy and endocospy since your sister has two cancer. Don't forget to keep your lifestyle as healthy as possible.

Good luck

Last edited by ryu1977; 06-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I definately see a colonoscopy in your future. How old are you and your twin? What was the other type of cancer your twin had ? Sometimes families are more prone to other members getting cancer if there is a history of it in the family. I have a few cases of colon cancer in my family and I will be tested regularly with colonoscopies. Colon cancer is a very treatable cancer if caught early.

Last edited by shnswms; 06-06-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

Are you identical twins or fraternal twins? I would think identical twins would be more likely to suffer the same diseases since they began life as one cell. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it makes sense to me. I know it holds true for diabetes. I think this is definitely something you should discuss with your doctor--a doctor who has experience treating twins.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

kerrycats3 HB User

Thanks to all of you. My twin and I are 61. My sister had a lump in her neck the first time and it hadn't spread so it was removed and she just had to undergo radiation treatment. The next time she had one of those fecal test strip things done and send in (maybe theres a name for it I can't think of it now). It turned out she had blood in it and so they scheduled her for a colonoscopy and found the cancer in the colon. She had to have back 6" of her colon removed and they told her she had non-hodgkins lymphoma. She underwent six months of chemo and lost a lot of weight (heck of way to lose weight isn't it). She has also had skin cancers removed but they had not spread. Sometimes I wish it would happen to me instead of her. It has always seem like she has had the medical problems and I have the finance problems all of our lives.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I'd say get screened yearly, any cancer caught early is curable. Even when a parent has bowel cancer, the children are told to get screenings.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
(female)

buddyshome HB User

Hi Kerrycats3 this is your twin sister. Both cancers I had were Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma even though the second time it was in the colon. The doctor told me Lymphoma is like a virus. They don't know why certain people get it but it isn't contagious and it is treatable if caught early. It has been eight years in July so I feel cured. Don't worry, I'm not going to worry about it! Lets just take it one day at a time! THANKS FOR BEING THERE!!! BTW I am glad it was me and not you!

Last edited by buddyshome; 06-10-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Closed Thread