It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
(male)

DnutDman HB User
swolen hands while and after hikes??

i live in san diego where there is lots of chapparell hills to hike in. almost always when i go hiking my hands swell up and parts of them look white. what could cause this? or an i allergic to all the bushes in the hills? i dont think its a lack of water because my hands dont swell up when i go on runs..

Thanks

Old 06-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

Ga Lady HB User
Re: swolen hands while and after hikes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnutDman
i live in san diego where there is lots of chapparell hills to hike in. almost always when i go hiking my hands swell up and parts of them look white. what could cause this? or an i allergic to all the bushes in the hills? i dont think its a lack of water because my hands dont swell up when i go on runs..

Thanks
Mine always do that too. Has since I was young. Never bothered me til I was older and got to wondering why...My mother's do the same thing. Do you ankles swell? Mine do...or one does...mainly the left ankle. I read an article one time about 'allergic' to exercise and there were people who actually broke out in hives after exercising but mine is just the hands. And ankles when it's really hot weather or standing or sittin long periods of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
(female)

oeee HB User

First of all, when people walk, they tend to have their hands listless at their sides...blood thus drains into your hands and makes them swell...when your hands swell a great deal...it is natural that the color of the skin will change and you will have difficulty moving them. That said, if your joints are red in color and you are experiencing any kind of pain, you need to see a doctor and report the symptoms. However, if the swelling dissipates within an hour of finishing the hike, you most likely have nothing to worry about. * Pay attention to the position of your hands when you hike....often, when people run, they swing their arms and do not allow them to hang at their sides.....the swinging movement of the hands prevents blood build-up and thus prevents swelling.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
(male)

DnutDman HB User

thanks for the reply, i probably could have figured it out if i would have thought harder.. haha

Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran

rach12 HB User

OEEE is right. I have this same problem when I exercise outside (walking ) in the heat. I went and asked my doc he said the same thing it is the motion of your hands while wlking.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

Same advice as rach12 and oeee, happens to me all the time.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
(female)

storm12 HB User

My hands swell sometimes, too. And I do believe the thing about allergies to excercise. In the past when I haven't been on antihistimines, I have broken out in hives around my knees when exercising - particularly when I get too hot. However, since I now take antihimines every day for my multitude of allergies, a good side effect is that I have less problem with exercised-induced hives and such.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

My hands swell when I am in the heat. My ankles do not swell though. I have never mentioned it to my doctor. I just assumed it was due to the heat and humidity.

Closed Thread