It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

CandiceD HB User
Question Feeling overheated and excess sweating

Where do I begin?
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about four years ago and about a year ago my synthroid was increased to 88mcg. I have always experienced feelings of being overheated and sweating, but it has gotten to the point where it has controled my lifestyle. I live in a climate where it tends to get very hot in the summer, but I can feel clammy and sweaty in air conditioning and even in wintertime. I was recently on vacation where the outside temp. got to 65 degrees F and I still was overheated and sweaty. It is completely embarrassing.
I mentioned my thyroid because it seemed to be what I thought would be they problem (did I go from hypo to hyper due to overmedicating?), but recent tests do not suggest this. All my testing (T4, T3, TSH) came back "normal". I also had hormone testing done (I cannot recall the name of the blood test) to see if perhaps I'm going through early menopause (I'm only 33), but that too came back "normal".
I'm at a loss as to what step to take next. I requested a visit with an endo. and hope that will help. Does anyone have any insight on this issue of feeling overheated and sweating? Thanks much.
Candice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

serafina HB User
Re: Feeling overheated and excess sweating

I wish I had more answers for you, but I am actually going through the same thing myself. I went from a person who was always cold, even in the summer, to someone who gets overheated and sweaty. Even when I am cold, I may still sweat. It is so disturbing and depressing because I feel like a stranger in my own skin. I too am trying to find answers and will pass any on if I find them out. So far I've been to an endocrinologist who said my thyroid was fine and also tested my cortisol levels. My gyno checked my fsh, lh, estradiol and insulin and those were "normal'. Went to a derm and he said it is hyperhidrosis - except that I am 31 and this just started 4 months ago - it's not like I've had this my whole life so I believe there is something else going on. Docs say it is from an anxiety disorder. I will add that this started while I was on Lexapro (an ssri) and I was sure that the sweating was a side effect from that - however, I stopped taking that in April and this is still happening!! Also, I stopped taking birth control pills in March. So maybe it is hormonal. I think I'm going to go to a neurologist next. Let me know if you find anything else out too! good luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to serafina For This Useful Post:
Coreena (11-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

CandiceD HB User

Serafina...oh my! Yes indeed, we have the same situation with unfortunately the same unanswered questions. I am 33, found out my thyroid levels were ok with the meds I'm taking (I thought for sure they were too high), had my cortisol levels tested and they too were fine, and checked for diabetes (I had gestational five years ago with my son). Then I too went to a derm and he stated hyperhidrosis! Did you get Drysol? I did, and used it on my forehead and in my hairline. Yuck. My skin looked red, and when I thought I would be sweating I would put my hand up to my forehead and I wasn't. It was weird, but yes...it worked in a way. Not the way I wanted, though, as I wanted answers for WHY I'm sweating in the heat AND the cold. I was concerned maybe I was having problems with anxiety as I'm a fidgety/anxious person, and my doctor put me on Lexapro. However, I only tried it for less than a month and quit. I just didn't think that was the case (plus I heard that stuff packs the weight on and I didn't need any help there). I quit bc pills back in '97 when my hair was falling out. Yeesh! Hormonal? I think so. What else can it be????? I'm going to try the endo. doc and hopefully will find out more. So if you are interested in what I find out, I'll fill you in. Hopefully I'll get in soon, but we'll see. If you get in to the neurologist, let me know. Thanks and good luck to you as well!

Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

serafina HB User

Candice - I can't believe how similar our situations are, and it makes me feel less alone to talk to someone who understands my frustrations. That's exactly how I feel - I want to know WHY this is happening. Apparently that is too much to ask for from most doctors. I just made an appointment with a neuro, which is in 2 weeks, so I will definitely update you after that. Please do the same. Maybe it is from anxiety - but why now? I didn't sweat on my wedding day or when I took the bar exam! Maybe anxiety manifests itself in different ways throughout your life? Part of me thinks Lexapro has some long-lasting effect too, but who knows! Meanwhile I've had such health anxiety and have thought I have every serious disease out there (lupus, ms, brain tumor, acromegaly, sclerodema, etc.) Thanks again for your post.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

CandiceD HB User

Serafina...I know what you mean. I don't remember sweating on very stressful days in the past, either. What gives? The manifestation is a good question, too. My take is that these doctors see so many patients that we are just a number to them. I hate to say that because I really do like my GP, but taking the time some of us need seems to be asking too much. Time is money, ya know. I'm a teacher, so it doesn't work that way for me. I did have a GP who was a real jerk. He was an ego case and would get upset when I read articles and brought them in. He made the comment (I'm not kidding), "Ok...so I go to school for six years and you come in with an article you've read. That's great." Oooooh! Anyway....I am a health anxious person as well, thinking I've had all kinds of anomolies. Whaddya do? I should be hearing back from the nurse today knowing when my endo. appt. will be. I'll let you know. I'm glad we found each other. That sounds weird, but you know what I mean. Haha!
Thanks!

Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #6

theREDshoes HB User

Heavy sweating can be a sign of a mineral deficiency. The most obvious one to try first is magnesium. I have read in a book by Jonathan Wright that magnesium has to do with sweating and body odor problems. Now, if you were to try magnesium and that didn't work, it could be other minerals like zinc, molybdenu, or still other minerals. But magnesium is always the best one to try first.

Eating a diet of refined foods would make you low in magnesium. Booze can deplete you of magnesium too. Certain meds can cause problems with magnesium levels also. Stress would make you need more magnesium, as would strenous exercise.

I have multiple deficiencies and have to take magnesium as a supplement because I lose vitamin b6 in my urine. Magnesium and vitamin b6 work well together, so if you supplement magnesium you might also consider some b6 too. If i take my magnesium supplement too late sometimes I will find my armpits get very wet, usually wet for the ambient temperature. You may have other deficiencies because I think the low thyroid problem could also indicate you are possibly low in zinc too. Unfortunately, most doctors never really test these things. I have a zinc deficiency and found when I went through some stress some time ago I was always cold too. Low zinc will cause a sluggish adrenal and possibly a sluggis liver.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Ladies, welcome to the club of sweating women!! I am 70 and still overheated and sweating. I also am hypothyroid. Have no idea what is causing it since I am a surgically stripped woman and took Premarin for 27 years, now off. My thermostat has never changed to a normal one. Two daughters are the same way, but have all body parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
nonbeliever (07-06-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
(female)

serafina HB User

wow - these posts are really helpful. How do docs test for mineral deficiencies? My blood work was all right in the middle of the normal ranges (i.e. calcium, postassium, sodium, phosp., liver enzymes, etc.) but maybe I need a more specific blood test? I do take a multivitamin, but maybe that's not enough? I am underweight and eat mostly vegetables and fish, very little fat and hardly any carbs. I also drink red wine just about every night (not a lot, but with dinner mostly) Thanks for such interesting info. It really has lifted my spirits reading these posts because I have been so miserable emotionally about this. I will share anymore insight I receive!

Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
(male)

manlyman HB User

i'm a guy, but i'm the same way. I change twice daily because I sweat so much, and i sit in front of a fan at all times, even in the middle of the Winter.

Doc says its high blood pressure and high pulse causing it, but even if my pulse and BP is down it still happens.

I exercise now, and I notice it getting a little better. How often do you two exercise, out of curiosity?

Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

CandiceD HB User

That surprises me that your doc would say it's high blood pressure. Maybe it shouldn't surprise me, because I am not a doc. Ha. I do not have trouble with high blood pressure, but sweat like crazy. As far as exercise, I do 30-40 min. on the elliptical 4-5 times a week. I was working out with a trainer lifting weights for a year, but then realized I needed cardio. My doc did say at one point it could be related to weight, but I had this long before I gained my weight. Drat!!!! How much better is it for you now mjuszczak?

Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
(male)

AstroMike HB User

Yeah,

I have the same simptoms that you are having - extended sweating even in winter (but worse is on summer). It gives me lot of trouble on windy summer days because the consenquence is mostly - cold or infection of upper respiratory organs (sinuses and throat).
The only diagnoses that i have received is - anxiety.
I can hardly beleive that it is anxiety, but every tests that i have done are showing perfectly good health.
If you get some useful information about this symptoms i would be glad if you share it with me

Old 08-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
(female)

serafina HB User

I wanted to post an update since I went to the neurologist about this sweating problem. He wants to test me for a carcinoid tumor?! He said it's a long shot, but I figured I'd let you know. Has anyone else here been tested for that? I have been pretty much tested for everything else that causes sweating and am starting to believe it is anxiety and hormonal changes. Maybe because we get so worried about the sweating that it just gets worse and worse. Hopefully we'll get answers soon. Good health to you all!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

A visit to an Endo is a good idea. They should give you a good, extensive workup.

My mother had this sweaty hot feeling for years up until she died, and her Dr. told her it was common in Diabetics. But she also suffered from anxiety for many years. So, who's to say?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
(female)

CandiceD HB User
Exclamation Re: Feeling overheated and excess sweating

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafina View Post
I wanted to post an update since I went to the neurologist about this sweating problem. He wants to test me for a carcinoid tumor?! He said it's a long shot, but I figured I'd let you know. Has anyone else here been tested for that? I have been pretty much tested for everything else that causes sweating and am starting to believe it is anxiety and hormonal changes. Maybe because we get so worried about the sweating that it just gets worse and worse. Hopefully we'll get answers soon. Good health to you all!
Serafina...not sure if you remember me, but we wrote back and forth for a while re: excessive sweating. Hopefully you get this message, but I found out more info. on this issue. This has been a long ride for me! Went to the endo. again.
Hope you are doing well!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
(female)

ndp HB User

Hi Candice...
i have just been reading this tread and wld b interested in finding out more bout ur recent answers.
keep us informed with ur posts!
thanks

Closed Thread