It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

CTmom HB User
submandibular gland removal

Help!

I'm looking for someone who has experience with submanibular gland removal (or any salivary gland removal for that matter). After three months of dealing with classic symptoms of salivary gland obstruction and a lot of pain, and after an office procedure to dilated the gland my doctor has told me I basically have two options. Remove the gland surgically or live with the pain.

He made the surgery seem like no big deal - in and out in one day, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has had it done. How long was the recovery time? Was there a lot of postop pain? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with it because I don't want to live with the pain, but I hate surprises and just want to know what I'm in for. I'm also a little nervous because x-rays and CT scans have not shown a stone or blockage so I'm not 100 percent sure this is the problem - although my Dr. says not all stones show up on x-rays. Anybody out there been through this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: submandibular gland removal

What are the symptoms of that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

CTmom HB User

I have had severe pain in my jaw for about three months. It does not hurt when I wake up, but gets worse as the day goes on. There is a painful swelling under my right jaw - right under the corner of the jawbone. It gets much worse when I eat - brings tears to my eyes. (Great for dieting though!)I was originally diagnosed with a swollen lymph node.

Also, I have had general symptoms of infection - night sweats, low-grade fevers and feeling lousy in general.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

The reason I asked was for the past two years I have had strange pain under my jaw but down my neck on the left side. During one of my many internet searches (you know Dr. don't know much) I came across this. I went to the Dr. and she blew it off basically but I have often wondered if that is what is going on? It was like muscle spasum pain from my jaw down to my neck and always on the one side.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #5

DebraL HB User

Well if you figure it out tell me. I have had at various times through my life, periods of time when i get a severe 'charley horse type' muscle spasm in the 'middle of the left side' of my neck. Ive never been able to figure it out....Ill have it sporadically for a while...

Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
(female)

cutiecat HB User

I had my left submandibular gland removed in April 02. Basically I had a stone blockage and the ENT basically told me the same either deal with the pain or remove the gland. I opted for surgery since a infection in the gland too many times can lead to nerve damage and I absolutely did not want that.

I believe the whole surgery took about 45 mins. I have a scar where the neck meets the jaw that is about 2 inches. It is not noticeable unless I point it out to someone.

The pain after the surgery was not that bad, I had a killer sore throat from the tube they stuck down my throat which bothered me more than the incision. I think recovery time was a week for me, my left side of my face was visibly swollen and it took a while for that to go down. One thing that made me nervous was when I tried to smile my left side would not fully go up I talked to the ENT about this and he assured me it would eventually go back to normal since there was swelling and the nerves just needed time to get back to normal and it did it took about a month though before I had complete movement again. Well good luck with your surgery if that is what you decide. I must say I am very happy I did it, a week of pain is well worth a lifetime of it.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #7
(female)

CTmom HB User

Thank you so much for your response. This was exactly the information I was looking for. I know it makes sense to go ahead a do this, I just wish my stone would show up on x-ray so I could be 100 percent sure it was the problem. I have been in pretty much constant pain for about three months so I am willing to trade that for a week or so of postoperative pain. My ENT had warned me about the potential for temporary nerve damage but I wasn't aware of the swelling. He also mentioned something about having a drain in the area for awhile. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
(female)

cutiecat HB User

I had a drain for about 2 days and it actually didn't drain much at all. It is true about some stones not showing up on the x-ray. My gland showed 1 stone about the size of pea and I actually had 2 stones in there when they sent it off to the lab. I can totally understand you wanting to know exactly the source of what's causing your pain though. Once the gland is removed your pain will be gone and what a relief that will be. Best of luck with your surgery.

Closed Thread