It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

Miromc HB User
Blood Pressure

This is weird. I fainted today while recieving allergy testing, and about 6 hours later I was still feeling dizzy, so I used one of those automatic blood pressure things in the pharmacy of my local Wal-Mart 9at the advice of the pharmacist there). Anyway, my blood pressure was 139/65. This seems really weird. I don't think I've seen it the top number that high, while the lower one being so low (forget what their called). Is that normal? I bet you hear a ton of these questions a day, so I'm sorry for being repetitive. Now, I know that the machine could not be fully up to par, I think i'll try again on Monday when I go to see my real pharmacist, in a real pharmacy.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #2

rubindj HB User
Re: Blood Pressure

What did the doctor say when you fainted during the allergy testing? What was your bloodpressure? Syncope can be a serious problem, and I would suggest seeing your Family Physician or Internist to figure out the cause, and help you decide if you need treatment. This is not something to play around with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
(male)

Miromc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubindj
What did the doctor say when you fainted during the allergy testing? What was your bloodpressure? Syncope can be a serious problem, and I would suggest seeing your Family Physician or Internist to figure out the cause, and help you decide if you need treatment. This is not something to play around with.
My blood pressure was 139/65 when I tested it 6 hours later. The allergist said I fainted because of stress and being nervous. All I remember was getting extreamly dizzy while the allergist was *****ing my skin, and she told me to put my head between my knees. The next second she is behind me, holding me up, and I have absolutly no idea where I am. Afterwards I had a hard time moving my hands, and that was worring me. I'm going to see my family physician next week about refilling my allergy medication, so I'll bring it up to him then.

Last edited by Miromc; 08-05-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
(male)

Miromc HB User

I tested my blood pressure again today, it was 145/79. I wouuld've thought it would've been lower today.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

How old are you?This is kinda high but not dangerously so,but enough that it bears some looking into.if possible either get a home monitoring BP kit or if you can, stop by the pharm and take your BP once a day for a week or two and see just what your average is.Or better yet, since you really don;t know the actual accuracy of that machine, stop by your local fire dept instead of the pharm and have them do your BP like every other day or something.If your FD is not a full time one you may have to call and find out just when they are in station doing training or on a call.Back when I actually had a life, i was a FF and we did BPs all the time.This really would be the best way to get the most accurate reading outside your docs office.Or do you live close to your doc?You could also stop in there too.You just cannot really trust a BP machine that sits in a drug store.You do not know just what kind of wear and tear it has undergone or the last time it was actually calabrated.You may want to see your doc and discuss getting some blood work done to see if there may be a problem somewhere.There can be many many causes for an elevated BP some pretty benign, others are not,but just getting some basic tests done will rule out/in at least some possibilities.Your age can have alot to do with this too.FB

Old 08-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Feelbad is right, those pressure machines at stores are not as accurate as having your pressure read in a doctor's office. You can stop by your local health department and a nurse will take your pressure for you. The fire department is a good idea also. Make them some cookies in exchange
145/79 is not worrisome, by the way.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:55 AM   #7

rubindj HB User

I'm actually more concerned to be honest about the disparity between the diastolic and systolic numbers. Keep a log, get the BP checked at an accurate place (Dr Office will usually do a BP check free, or Fire/EMS, Health Dept, etc). I would make sure you tell your doctor about your BP issues AND your fainting spell. The combination could indicate more than either one by itself.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
(male)

Miromc HB User

I'm 19 years old. And I'm underweight as well (only 115 lbs) so I don't really know what can be causing the it to be like that. I think weight is supposed to play a big part, but being as thin as I am it culdn't be causing anything. I'm actually going to see my doctor tomorrow (well I probably won't see him, just speak to his secretary) and I'll see if I can get my blood pressure acuratly checked. Living out in the country we don't have nurses etc... at our local doctors office. Just 4 doctors, their secretaries, and the pharmacy/pharmacist. So I think in order to get my blood pressure checked I will have to make an appointment.

I checked again today, 141/75.

And another thing. I'm still getting these dizzy spells. Today I had a moderate one. It passed after a minute, but it was bad enough to make me feel like I was going to be sick.

Last edited by Miromc; 08-07-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

It's hard to say what could be causing it. I have always been underweight until recently and my blood pressure was 139/80 when I would go to the doctor. They said it was normal at the time but now that is considered high. I even had that blood pressure reading when I was 105 lbs. So weight is not always the cause. I now just happen to take migraine headache medication that is also a medication for high blood pressure called Inderal and it's in a more normal range so I feel better about it. I bought a high rated blood pressure monitor for home use and it matches what those drug store machines say. One thing I notice though is if I take it and then wait 10 or 15 minutes and take it again while sitting the entire time it goes down quite a bit. Today I took it and it was 122/85 and then 10 minutes later it was 105/83. So just the thought of taking your blood pressure and being worried about it can make the top number go up. It would be worth your while to get a home one. The one I have is called "Reli On" digital blood pressure monitor. I bought it at Walmart. It was not cheep I think I paid about $50 for it. Can't remember for sure though. It is the top rated one for home. Whenever I do the ones in the drug store my top number is always higher. If I actually take the time to relax for 5 minutes and do the drug store one again it goes down dramatically. Stress or nervousness make the top number go up. The bottom number is not effected by stress.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
(male)

Miromc HB User

I visited my doctor today, he is away on vacation, so instead I visited my pharmacist. She says that with my age I don't have to worry about my bloos pressure unless it hits 160 or more. And since my lower number (once again, I forget which it is) is low that I don't have anything to worry about.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
(male)

GanChan HB User

Also, in any clinical environment they make you do what is called is "5-minute sit" before they take your BP. Basically you're supposed to sit there quietly for about 5 minutes, which stabilizes your numbers to their baseline level.

My BP is always "better" when taken by a doctor than in one of those automated supermarket machines....

Closed Thread