It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
(male)

Peter0690 HB User
Question Does any cancer's show up in a blood test?

[/B] Hey,
i was wondering does cancers such as: bowel,stomach etc cancer's show up in a standard blood test.Because i get very bloated a sometime have nausea during the day and the doctor says its nothing at too stop worring but ive had a blood test and all shows up ok.
please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Does any cancer's show up in a blood test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterfrank
[/B] Hey,
i was wondering does cancers such as: bowel,stomach etc cancer's show up in a standard blood test.Because i get very bloated a sometime have nausea during the day and the doctor says its nothing at too stop worring but ive had a blood test and all shows up ok.
please help

While cancer might be detected through a blood sample, it isn't likely that just getting blood drawn for another reason would be tested for cancer. For example, if you get blood drawn and tested for a virus or a thyroid disorder, the blood is only going to be tested for those things. The lab isn't going to search for any other problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
(male)

Peter0690 HB User

Ok,
Because i am getting tested too see if somthing is wrong with my stomach so he is testing for celiacs etc. would stomach cancer show up?
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Some cancers do have blood tests that can indicate a problem (such as the PSA for prostate cancer) but many cannot be diagnosed by bloodwork. Cancers that affect the blood could show up as abnormalities on routine bloodwork, but other than that, special tests need to be run. I'm not sure what tests the doctor is running, but there is no specific blood test for stomach cancer. The best way to diagnose that is with endoscopy, where they can see the inside of the stomach. If the blood tests don't show anything and you are still having symptoms, there are some other diagnostic tests (barium x-ray, endoscopy, etc) that may be ordered. But blood tests are the least invasive and least expensive, so they are usually the place to start trying to find the problem.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

There is a simple blood test that can help identify cancer of the stomach. The test reveals if a patient has been infected by Helicobacter pylori (H.pylori), a common corkscrew shaped bacterium that burrows into the stomach's mucus lining. The infection can be eliminated with a simple combination of antibiotics and acid lowering drugs.

Also, A positive fecal occult blood test can prove to show at least a 10% chance that a cancer is present.

A Gastroscopy is the best method since the surgeon can actually view your stomach first-hand as well as take biosies for pathology.

Stomach cancer would not show up when testing for celiac disease. People with celiac disease are unable to eat foods that contain gluten, which is found in wheat and other grains. In people with celiac disease, gluten sets off an autoimmune reaction that causes the destruction of the villi in the small intestine.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
(male)

Peter0690 HB User
Exclamation Re: Does any cancer's show up in a blood test?

Ok because i usually have nausea for about 1 hour everyday always in morning somtimes at night aswell and feel very bloated and need to do a little burp quite alot and Yehh i have lost my appitite though... so i am very confused please help.

Closed Thread