It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

bumblebee919 HB User
spacey, lightheaded, "out of it"...what could it be?

Since about two years ago or so, I have started feeling spacey and a sort of "out of it" feeling...I am not quite sure how to explain it. It is as if I am slightly drunk without having consumed alcohol (if that makes sense)...

Also, often, if I get up too fast, I sometimes see black for a few seconds. I remember falling a few months ago, and I saw black, was dizzy, and extremely nausaus for about 30 seconds to a minute. I feel like if I ever fall I know the same thing will happen.

However, these feelings are on and off -- one week I will be fine, then there will be another week where I will have this feeling again...it also seems to come and go at different times of day (like I could feel spacey during the day and afternoon and be fine at nighttime)... I have not been able to figure out what might be the cause of this -- nothing seems to be wrong when I have check ups and bloodwork done. I have no medical problems that I know of

If anybody can give me any insight as to what this could be or how I can prevent this from happening I would greatly appreciate it...I am 19 years old if that helps...thanks so much

Last edited by bumblebee919; 08-07-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 AM   #2
(male)

7ducks HB User
Re: spacey, lightheaded, "out of it"...what could it be?

hi,
what sort of tests have you done? lightheadness could mean heart issues (cardiologist) or if it's a spinny, motion type spacey feeling you should have your inner ear (ENT Dr) and your eyes (opthamologist) looked at.

the other thing lightheadness can mean is anxiety. sometimes these symptoms come on at 17 -19 because of school, life etc pressures and just won't go away. check out www.adaa.org for anxiety disorders.

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

meatball HB User

bumblebee-
do you have an anxiety disorder or panic attacks. I get this feeling a lot too and i found that it was anxiety causing it.. Just a thought.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

bumblebee919 HB User

meatball and 7ducks ...thanks for your replies...

the bloodwork I've had done were just the normal blood tests at my physical (the doctor had a bunch of other stuff tested that aren't normally done) and everything turned out fine...I have a feeling it doesn't have to do with my heart, eyes, or ears...although the anxiety thing might be it...my boyfriend suggested the same thing to me because I do get stressed out a lot

However, the weird thing is, I get these spacey feelings when I'm not even stressed out about anything, and when I am stressed about something I sometimes don't get the feelings...it's as if the spaciness comes and goes unpredictably...and it's strange b/c when the "out of it" feeling comes, it usually occurs during the day and goes away during the late evening...there's no specific thing that I can pinpoint that causes it to come an go, which makes me question whether or not anxiety is the cause of it

also -- meatball, to answer your question, I don't think I've ever had a "panic attack" before (I'm not quite sure what one feels like so I'm assuming I've never had one)

meatball or anyone else -- was there usually a specific cause to your lightheadedness or spaciness that you can pinpoint, or do they come and go randomly? also, did you seek treatment for it, and if so, what kind of treatment?

thanks so much

Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
(female)

meatball HB User

You sound a lot like me.. my panic and spaciness is more frequent during the day and at night I find myself feeling better. Anxiety can be triggered by many different things, stress being one of them. I know when I am more stressed out the more I start to panic. If you are experiencing more stress than usual, this could be why you are feeling the "spacy- out of it" feelings. Also, I noticed I would get extra spacy and out of it in bigger more open areas, like a shopping mall, or driving. My therapist pointed out mild agoraphobia, and anxiety disorder and put me on Klonopin to ease the panic. It works wonders on me and I don't notice the lightheadedness as much anymore. Panic can be a tricky thing to deal w/ and you should not have to do it alone. Make sure you have someone to talk to (friends, family, boyf, therapist) about things that are going on. You may be more stressed than you know and your body is trying to tell you something. Let me know if you have any more questions or you just need to vent. The boards are a great place to be and there are so many great people here who are always willing to listen and lend an ear.

Closed Thread