It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

Jsoulsearching HB User
Husband may have mental problem. Can't keep job.

Problem:
Husband can't keep a job

Confirmed Reasons:
- he doesn't want to work even though he knows we could loose everything if he doesn't work.

- prefers taking the easy way out.

- paranoia. believes some people are inherently against him.

- ego. thinks people dislike him because of his "talents".

- gets a kick out of playing mind games with people.

- makes offensive and mistimed jokes when he does finally open up to a person.

Question:
What is wrong with this man? Does he have a mental condition, and if so - what is it called?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
(male)

chickenx5 HB User
Re: Husband may have mental problem. Can't keep job.

Seems like hes a hot head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Sounds tipical of people who think they "know it all", "no one is going to tell them what to do", "self centered", actually has very "low self esteem" and feels they need to drag everyone else down to their level to make themselves feel superior.

If they knew so much they would be the boss and not working for a boss. Actually, many people like this are just plain "lazy".

Like the other poster stated, a "hot head".

There is give and take in this world and we do have to work for others and respond to duties of the job. Life is not a bed of roses, must learn to get along with others, must learn to not think of self only, must learn to work by the sweat of their brow instead of someone handing them things on a silver platter.

Want to know how I know the above, I have a nephew that fits your descriptions to a "T". He was raised by several grandmas, greatgrandma, etc. and never learned how to accept responsibility for self and work. He grew up a lazy know it all hot head. If he does not like something at work, he just quits. Does not keep a job but a few weeks at a time.

Sure hope I am worng about your husband, but, don't think so.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

Jsoulsearching HB User

Thank you for your replies. Marie55, what you said was very accurate. He's only been able to stay at his last few jobs for about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm not sure if he's getting fired, quitting, or both. I should sit in with him next time to see first hand what is going on. The reasons I listed are based on things I know he does around the house and know from first hand experience.

Thank you again for the replies. More replies are welcome.

Last edited by Jsoulsearching; 08-10-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

Jsoulsearching HB User

Is there a name for the mental condition my husband may have?

Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Sounds like it might be Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). My biological father has it and he sounds a lot like your husband- has a huge ego that often gets him into trouble, he thinks that he's "special" and that people are jealous of him, he loves making fun of people and making them feel worse about themselves, and he played vicious mind games with my mother and I for more than twelve years. I would think if he wasn't experiencing any other symptoms indicative of bipolar mania (hyperactivity, irritability, racing thoughts, fast speech, lack of sleep, loss of judgment, hallucinations, etc.), than he might have NPD. Grandiose delusions in bipolar disorder are along the lines of "The President's in love with me, and we're getting married tomorrow," and "I invented calculus because I'm so good at math." (The person will believe this even if they're currently failing their math class.) However, the grandiose delusions in NPD are like, "I'm so special. Everybody should treat me better because I AM better than everyone else," and "I'm so talented- the world's at my feet!" These feelings of greatness aren't as delusional as thinking that they're a famous actor or something for they truly believe all the time that they're special. For example, my father said that he would be a millionaire by the age of 40, and at the age of 41, he filed for bankruptcy... I suspect that my father might have bipolar disorder, but regardless of that diagnosis, he definitely has NPD. Other common symptoms of NPD are lack of empathy, devoid of emotion for others', and devoid of sympathy. Does your husband have any of these? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

Jsoulsearching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Other common symptoms of NPD are lack of empathy, devoid of emotion for others', and devoid of sympathy. Does your husband have any of these? If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Thank you so much for the reply, and I'm sorry about my slow reply. Yes, he has all of the above.

Closed Thread