It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

fidgety115 HB User
difference btwn cherry angiomas and petechiae

Does anyone know the diff btwn cherry angiomas and petechiae? Some cherry angiomas are super tiny and flush with the skin, so it is hard to tell the diff between them and petechiae befuae both do not blanch.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: difference btwn cherry angiomas and petechiae

in my experience(I have both) the angiomas are really quite red and look more "solid"???not sure if you know what I mean by that.but the petechiae appear to look more orangey in color.they also seem to be more into the skin while angiomas are kind of actually on the surface.does this help at all or did i manage to confuse you even more?Sorry if i did.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

fidgety115 HB User

I have super tiny ones that I am not sure what they are....I mean they are like dust size....but red....mostly on the inside of my forearms and some on my triceps...
your petechiae, how many did you have? where were they located and how long did they last? Did you have an underlying condition?

Thank you for the info!

Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Well, i had an extremely large one that formed inside of my spinal cord called a cavernous hemangioma.my son had one on his cheek when he was in the throws of liver failure.i now have tiny little angiomas and also petechiae all over my abdominal area and two on my lower leg.i am pretty sure that the petechiae are being caused by the constant manipulation of the area on my abdomen that i have to keep doing because my peristalsis is mostly gone due to a damaged sympathetic nervous system.they can be caused by many many different things.But as far as the angiomas, I really have absolutly no clue as to why these keep poppin up in different areas.sometimes they are an indicator of underlying disease or medical problem like in my sons case,but others there really is no real explanation.if you are getting these I would just bring up your concerns the next time you see him or her.sorry I couldn't really help you out here.FB

Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Just a question - have you at all recently been carrying or lifting something on, or wrapped around, your arms? Like straps of some sort (luggage maybe) or if you were wearing a sweater and picking someone up off the ground (type of thing). The friction of material between skin and pressure causes little red specks such as you mention.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

fidgety115 HB User

Hello and thank you both for the replies. I have cherry angiomas that are so tiny that I have to strain my eyes to see them, but they do appear to be above the surface of the skin. The petechiae I have are not from friction at all and they are on the bottom of my feet in the arch area. It seems to get lighter and some disappear only to reappear again if I stand too long or maybe just because "they" feel like rearing their ugly heads. Anyway, FeelBad, how are you doing? Your replies cetainly were informative, but I cannot help but wonder what made your sympathetic nervous system get screwed up. How is your son? Did he make it through the liver failure/did he get a transplant? I really hope for the best for you.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for asking.have you seen a doc to have these evaluated a little more in depth?that is just a really strange area to have them just keep showing up.anything that you notice anywhere in your body that would be considered "not normal" really needs some further investigation.
in answer to your questions.My sons Tx liver is actually doing wonderfully(knock on wood,tap tap)he has alot of other medical issues though and I really really wish he could just be a totally normal person for once.
my SNS got messed up,along with a host of other spinal nerve and sp tracts,after a surgery done on my spinal cord to try and remove that cavernous angioma from the C 7,T 1 area of my cord.i am as we speak, waiting to get a call back from my neurosurgeons nurse to see if i can get in to see him asap as I have been experiencing some really really bizarre progrssing neuro problems.hopefully it is not my worst nightmare of actual scar tissue forming inside my cord.It is really scarey to live this way.every day some strange new sensation or feeling just pops in or some old one seems to become morphed into something stranger than the day before.very creepy.FB

Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

fidgety115 HB User

No I haven't been to a dr. Hoping things clear up on their own. I am a mother of two young children and have nothing but thoughts of me dying and them eing split apart, becuae the have different fathers, and me and my husband live with my parents and if my children leave this home it would also sadden my parents. I have a very complicated life. Anyhow, I am sorry about what is going wrong with you and the new complications. Good that your son is doing better and yes maybe he will be able to have a normal life, once everything else comes under control.

Closed Thread