It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Amberay HB User
My 4 year old seems to be bruising easily.

Hello everyone! I know that I should post on "childrens health" but they don't respond very quickly. For over a month now, I've noticed that my 4 year old daughter seems to be bruising more. It started with her legs. The doctor noticed this and ran a CBC test on her, it came back normal. Since then, she started bruising on her arms, and her legs still look awful. She looks diseased. The only other symptom I can tell you about is a small pea sized lump in her neck, that we noticed after she saw the docter over a month ago. My thoughts were Leukimia, but you would think that something would show in her blood work. We havent been back to the doctor because we are waiting on our health insurance. Can anyone tell me what this might be? Should I be concerned? What other tests should I have the doctor run, I don't want anything over looked!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

luv2dance HB User
Re: My 4 year old seems to be bruising easily.

Both of my children 6 yr girl and 3 yr boy look like they have been beaten..I guess they bruse easily I know I do. Is she on a multi vit something with extra iron? And sounds like the doctor didn't seem to concerned? Leuk would be an alarm on blood test so TRY not to think that way. I know the how it feels to look at my daughter in a pretty little dress and then think ewww look at all those bruises.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I would get a second opinion as soon as possible.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Definitely get a second opinion. But another thought: is she getting a balanced diet? Sometimes vitamin deficiencies can cause bleeding. Problems should have shown up in her bloodwork, but if it is getting worse then you should get that rechecked. There are tests that can look at clotting time to see if that is a problem.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

allen71 HB User

Hi- I was wondering if you've had her thyroid levels checked? A lot of kids these days are being diagnosed with thyroid problems. I had that same problem before I knew I was hypothyroid. My husband was embarrassed because he was afraid people would think he was beating me! I am on thyroid replacement now but still bruise somewhat easily- it's not nearly as bad as it was before though. The lump on the neck could most definitely point to thyroid troubles. Let us know- I'd be interested in hearing - all it takes it having her TSH tested- that is a pretty inexpensive test.... Brandi

Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
(female)

Amberay HB User

Thank you for your replies. Her bruising is still really bad. I haven't taken her back to the doctor yet because we are still waiting for our health insurance. She is a very picky eater so I wouldn't be surprized if it is due to a poor diet. I'm going to take her in as soon as possible. I will let you know what happends.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Does your child have asthma? If not, ask for a second opinion or another blood test. Good idea to make sure they're drawing the blood for the test out of the childs arm...not the finger...

Closed Thread