It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #1

tizimare HB User
Question Body Odor-Smells of Strong Urine

My husband showers twice a day....once in the morning and once before going to bed at night. He uses baby powder in his 'creases' and is even using a topical prescription medicine given to him by his doctor that is suppose to help control his sweating while he sleeps. BUT, he sweats so badly while he sleeps that by morning, the entire house smells like urine....STRONG urine! I just changed his bedding yesterday, opened up his bedroom window to air out the room, sprayed his matress with Fabreeze....and again this morning, the urine smell is back. I'm sitting here in the dining room and can smell the strong urine smell coming from his bedroom as he sleeps. I can't stand it! Yes, he has his own room because of this odor problem. I won't invite anyone over because of the horrible odor and I can hardly stand to go into his room.

He is about 30 pounds overweight, smokes, wears dentures, loves to eat spicy foods (in fact, food is the highlight of his day so he's not about to give up anything), doesn't exercise much....but does shower frequently. What can we do to make him stop smelling??!!

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #2

knotme HB User
Re: Body Odor-Smells of Strong Urine

itn't that a bladder control problem?
has he had a prostate exame?
maybe it's meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

See, now I'd have to wonder too if it's just plain and simple urine, not sweat. Because sweat doesn't smell like urine.....urine does. But regardless, you want it taken care of now, and the only way you're going to get the smell out of the room is to get the mattress out. Period. That's what you keep smelling, and you can spray that thing til the cows come home, and all you're doing it covering it up. Go to the store and ask for an air mattress and that will eliminate almost the whole problem because there's nowhere for any smells to be absorbed. And then you simply change the sheets every day and you have virtually removed everything that smells. Same for his pillow - New pillow, new waterproof cover. And change that every day, too. Also, every day or so sprinkle baking soda over the carpet, leave it set for awhile, then vacuum it up. Baking soda is well-known for being an odor-remover and trust me, it works. Next, take that damn febreeze and throw it out because that stuff smells awful and will do nothing but make that room worse. If you reeeeeally want to have something you can spritz in the air and also works - and I mean actually removes smells, doesn't cover them up - it's Smells be Gone. Awesome stuff, and it does exactly what it says...it removes odors from anything and there's no 'pretty' smell left behind. Stores around me can't keep it in stock. Buy some.
Now, maybe it's just me, but common sense tells me if he sweats that bad, why isn't there a fan oscillating in there during the night? Or blow it right on him. Why on earth this hasn't been done before now is beyond me, but when you're at the store buying the Smells Be Gone, buy a fan, too.

Now, when you buy this air mattress and new pillow, you're going to have to wash everything from that bed and put all fresh linens on it. I'm going to guess that the bedspread also smells from being on that bed, so either wash that or buy a new one. What you're trying to do is wash or replace everything that would have that smell on it, and don't bring it back in the room to use until it's cleaned. So you're going to buy the mattress and pillow, wash all the sheets and also the bedspread, and when the new mattress is on the bed, there will also be clean sheets and bedspread put on it. At night, take the spread off if you don't already and put it on a chair or somewhere away from the bed. Next morning, and every morning, put on clean sheets and pillowcase. Trust me, you do all this, that room won't smell.

Now, I am going to ask you this though - have you ever checked your husband's underware and whatever he wears to bed for urine stains? Because I just don't know how sweat can smell like that, even a smoker's. You may want to do some checking just to make sure that's not the real problem. And even if it is, remedy is the same - new stuff, a fan, clean sheets daily.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Has he always smelled like that, or is it a new problem? If he's always smelled like that (or maybe even if he hasn't), and it truly is his sweat that smells, then I would vote for a metabolic problem. There are some very strange illnesses out there...

Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #5

tizimare HB User

Quote:
Now, maybe it's just me, but common sense tells me if he sweats that bad, why isn't there a fan oscillating in there during the night? Or blow it right on him. Why on earth this hasn't been done before now is beyond me
He has a ceiling fan directly above his bed that runs constantly. Looks like common sense is running amuck and you're not the only one blessed with it
I like the idea of the air mattress and waterproof pillow cover....but he won't.
No, he's not peeing himself or his bed. I would know since I wash his bedding.
Yes, he smells exactly like strong urine (amonia). This has only been happening for the past year or so and it seems like it's getting worse.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll send him back to the doctor....

Old 09-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

There is a phermone called Androsterone and is a steroid found in male sweat.

"It is said to have either an unpleasant, sweaty, urinous smell, with varying degrees of unpleasantness depending on the concentration."

Might do some research on it.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread