It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
(male)

UBR HB User
Enlarged Thymus Gland After Months Of Symptoms -- Help Please

Hi, I'm a 37 year old male, I don't drink or smoke or do drugs, never have. I was informed that a Cat Scan of my chest showed an enlarged thymus gland. I've had months of on/off fatigue and muscle pain, plus an odd bronchial problem which this doctor and no other has confirmed as bronchospasm. He did not seem to think the enlargement was cancerous, though I understand it might be, seeing it as an abnormality. He said he's not sure if the breathing problem is from it or not. Does anyone have any idea? Usually the only problem I've had, after a bout with the flu in January, has been this bronchial congestion, which makes me gulp for air now and then (unless that's not directly related to it). Does anyone know if the thymus might be capable of causing these breathing problems?

Incidentally -- the Cat Scan was a month old, taken in an ER. The doctors never informed me of any abnormality. Their paperwork (never given to me) advised 3-6 month check on size of thymus.

My thyroid readings have been fluctuating this year, once going from .04 to .4 in two weeks. The doctor wants me to see another endocrinologist. The one I saw said I was borderline hyperthyroid and that giving me medicine at this point wouldn't do me any good, he felt I would only need it if I stayed at .04 or the thyroid "crashed." It was around .125 about a month ago. I have hyperthyroid symptoms like increased appetite but the T3 and T4 were normal.

Last edited by UBR; 09-03-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: Enlarged Thymus Gland After Months Of Symptoms -- Help Please

Have they checked for myasthenia gravis?

Some of the symptoms are:
Weak muscles
The weakness improves after resting and gets worse after physical activity
Visual disturbances such as double vision, inability to hold a steady gaze and droopy eyelids
Fatigue
Swallowing difficulties
Breathing difficulties
Shortness of breath.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
(male)

UBR HB User

I believe myasthenia gravis is under strong suspicion. I'm supposed to see a new endocrinologist but the new internal doctor wants it to be someone he can work with. I can get a quicker appointment most likely with a different endo. dr. There are many reasons to want answers in a case like this, but bizarre episodes of fatigue are dangerous. I can't go anywhere without fearing I'll pass out and be mugged, for instance. The last two times I was at the ER, they wouldn't keep me, and the nurses saw me staggering around waiting for my cab. Unreal.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Good luck.

Closed Thread