It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

jenna47 HB User
how to tell if nose is broken

i was just wondering how you'd know if your nose was broken.. i've been hit a couple of times, and i asked my doctor but he said he couldn't really tell

do you think i'd know for sure if i broke it? like it would be bleeding a lot? it didn't bleed at all... (this was years ago)

thanks,
jenna

Old 09-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: how to tell if nose is broken

if you actually broke your nose, it would most likely give you a rather odd looking profile.How does yours look?Is there a spot on the bridge area that seems to be slightly or significantly depressed?Or does your nose look crooked when looking straight at your self in the mirror?any 'swelling' that has appeared to have stayed all this time that was not there before you were hit?if you really want to know for sure, an x ray would probably be your best way of actually seeing it.if your doc cannot actually tell if it is broken chances are you were lucky and it really never was.If there is no changes in the overall appearance of your nose i wouldn't worry about it.Even if it was but you cannot actually see changes in your appearance,it will eventually heal on it's own.Hope this helped at least a little.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi Jenna, I agree with feelbad, if you had broked your nose the profile of it would almost certainly be noticeably different.

You asked about bleeding. I don't really think bleeding would be an indication of whether your nose was broken or not.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

bleeding might or might not show up.Definitely NOT any sort of indicator of a broken bone anywhere in the body really.FB

Old 09-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Can I ask what brought this concern on since it has been several years since possible break?

I believe I have had some small breaks ....two instances in the last year where my nose received significant accidental hits from farm animals. I could hear a crunch each time and nose bled for a bit. My nose looks like it has maybe smaller bump on bridge that wasn't there. I did have a really bad break in early twenties.(don't try to answer the downstairs phone when you are upstairs taking a bath..the snap I heard I thought were my glasses breaking, was actually my nose) My nose was almost pressed to my right cheek and had a big gash on top. It hurt really bad, despite pain meds( demerol and cocaine) when doctor fixed it. Had to wear packing gauze
( about 10 feet? of it packed up inside nostrils and sinuses above eyes for three days.
As long as my nose is straight, I don't want to have it fixed. I can live with small bump. This year,I have noticed I have trouble breathing through one nostril that I didn't have before.

You may have suffered small break, but if you don't have change in what nose looked like before injury or little change...OR you don't have breathing problems since nose injury, I wouldn't stress about it.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

cocaine???

Old 09-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

believe it or not, cocaine is used in medicine for many different things.i had cocaine drops in my eyes when they were doing some sort of testing after I developed horners syndrome from spinal cord damage.Strange but true.go figure.FB

Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu82
cocaine???

This was about 25 years ago....It was a week inbetween nose break and getting it straightened. Some brothers of one of my girlfriends had had their noses broken numerous times in sports....said that I would get coke up my nose and get high. Yes, they put cocaine on cotton an put it up nose to numb and I suppose to help me not notice pain so much....hypo wasn't much help either as far as I was concerned. It hurt a LOT when doctor straightened nose....could hear crunching too.

I suppose nowadays they would put you in a Twilight type of sleep....Versed
( amnesia drug... affects short term memory) and Demerol?

Closed Thread