It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

Missuniverse012 HB User
Burned off tastebuds?

A couple of months ago, a friend was over at my house and we decided to do a test to see how sugar affected our strength. In order to do the test, we both repeatedly kept a tablespoon of sugar in our mouths while we had someone push on our arms as we tried to resist. Three days later my toungue was on fire. There were smooth red splotches all over my tongue, adn the rest of my tongue was completely white. I just assumed I had burned my tastebuds... I was in so much pain I could not drink or eat anything or about 10 days. The the pain seemed to subside. But every time I try to drink orange juice or anything even the slightest bit of citrus flavoring, my tongue starts burning like it had been for those few days. Could I have burned off my tastebuds in those red spots, and then regrown new tastebuds that are sensitive to citrus? Is that possible?

Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Burned off tastebuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missuniverse012
A couple of months ago, a friend was over at my house and we decided to do a test to see how sugar affected our strength. In order to do the test, we both repeatedly kept a tablespoon of sugar in our mouths while we had someone push on our arms as we tried to resist. Three days later my toungue was on fire. There were smooth red splotches all over my tongue, adn the rest of my tongue was completely white. I just assumed I had burned my tastebuds... I was in so much pain I could not drink or eat anything or about 10 days. The the pain seemed to subside. But every time I try to drink orange juice or anything even the slightest bit of citrus flavoring, my tongue starts burning like it had been for those few days. Could I have burned off my tastebuds in those red spots, and then regrown new tastebuds that are sensitive to citrus? Is that possible?
Sounds like a yeast infection. Yeast loves sugar and when you get a yeast infection it often leaves red inflammed areas that are sore especially when you drink acidic things like orange juice or citric acid. The solution is:

1. stop eating any kind of sugar for 2 weeks, that includes bread, cakes, cereal, fruits and starches.

2. go to the health food store and get some bacteria pills or get some active culture yogurt or both is even better. Take that for 2 weeks.

If you are lucky it will clear up but at the first sign of a return, another 2 weeks. Some people can take 2 months for it to go away completely. Oh yeah, avoid any antibiotics because taking those will just promote more yeast growth.

3. if it still won't go away, off to the doc for some Nystatin pills that you take while doing 1 and 2 above.

Last edited by orion; 09-13-2005 at 11:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread