It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

Star Heart HB User
Bloody Nose With BM

I'm sorry, this is a really gross question - but for the last 4 days my husband has been getting massively bloody noses whenever he has a BM. It's incredible how much blood he is loosing - it just shoots out of his nose and all over his clothes, the bathroom...just awful.

He's blaming the Melatonin he's taken the past few evenings, but I'm quite worried it could be something else. Any ideas on what might be causing this to happen???

Old 09-17-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bloody Nose With BM

I totally agree with the above poster,get his butt to a doc for a full physical including labs done on his liver and kidneys.does he get these bloody noses at other times as well>what is his lifestyle like,does he drink excessively or has he used pain relievers that contain tylenol on a continual basis?Has he complained of any other symptoms such as stomach aches or a kind of fullness in the upper abdomen?i am asking these types of questions as bloody noses like you described can be a sign of a very significant liver problem.My son(who was in liver failure)presented with bloody noses at some really wierd times without any real reason.Also had some regularly occuring stomach aches.this is just one of many different possibilities and why he really need to see his doc for a full physical.the bloodwork would reveal any sort of problem with the liver.at the very least, you can rule out any liver issues with these simple tests.please keep me posted on how things go.But really, getting him to his doc is really the best way to determine the actual cause.Good luck,FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

Star Heart HB User

Wow, thanks for that information FB...

I ended up having to take hubby to the ER early Saturday morning for a really bad nosebleed. All they did was pack it and send him home with a recommendation that he get a CBC at some point. Later that same morning, he went to his regular Dr, who merely removed the packing and told him to take it easy over the next few days....

If they don't seem concerned do we pursue it with a different Dr???

Old 09-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Star, ring your doctor up and tell them you want a full blood check up on your husband including clotting factors. Clotting factors will just rule out any clotting problems with your hubbys blood.

My doctors are the same. Completely useless so I tell them what I want and usually get it because I'm so adament. You have to be firm with doctors sometimes as some expect you to diagnose yourself. Good luck

Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

You know, that is soo appalling.he has had these long enough and severe enough that some further tesing IS definitely needed,This is just ridiculous.You would think that at least at the ED they would have taken the couple of minutes it would have taken to draw some blood and at least find out what his clotting factors are at among other things.Good god, doing this in hosp would have taken about a half an hour to actually get results as the lab is right there in the dang hospital.i would make an appt with his primary for a full blood work up,and demand it if you have to.If his doc decides to be an a** about it just tell him that we will be taking him to a new doc that actually gives a rats a** about his patients,and see what he says to that.It just absolutely boggles the mind sometimes as to just how flippin clueless some docs are.really.even the ED at the hospital you took him to for help,really let him down by not really checking into this with a little bit of lab work,ya know?Trust me when i say that in order to get the best care now a days sometimes you have to get down right nasty with some so called medical professionals.my son went thru liver failure and ended up neededing a liver Tx a few years ago,and believe me,i had to deal literally with many 'teams" of docs that were all on my sons case at the university hosp we went to.This was my first big introduction into the world of Drs egos and their condesending and arrogant behavior.It is one thing to be nasty and uncaring to me, but my god, do not do this to my child.Man I can remember many times when my mommy fangs came out and a few drs got their butts chewed big time.unfortunetly for us,the patients,we have to deal with this crap and quite honestly with all my sons medical issues and now mine,i have learned really well,and very quickly that in order to get the best care possible for you or a loved one,you just HAVE to make some noise and get their attention,or you will just kinda blend in with the other thousands of undertreated patients out there who either wont or just cannot speak up about what their needs are.now go kick some a**!and please keep me posted.FB

Closed Thread