It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
(male)

Boz_Bull HB User
Aches and Pain around left rib cage and center of midsection.

Hey there

For the past few weeks, Actually it's been about a month now I've been having this pain around my left side near my rib cage. For awhile it was very bad, so bad it disrupted my sleep, but it has since calmed a bit and I'm able to sleep without it waking me. I started stretching about a week ago in hopes to help this, and it has helped a little but still the pain persistent at times and makes me worry a great deal. It especially bothers me if I stand in one place for too long, and often it feel like an aching pressure, or a cramping sensation. The pain will sometimes be on my left side too, but not as severely as my left.

Usually it only bothers me when I'm moving around, as I like to be very active. I'm often forced to rest however because it still gets to the point where I just can't stand it anymore. I saw a doctor, twice in fact, the first one prescribed Sudafed without even really looking me over, dismissing what I said about thinking it was a muscle problem. The second doctor told me I might have strained myself lifting something heavy. But I've strained muscles before and it's never lasted this long, how long does it take for muscles to fully heal? If that's what this is, I'm partly afraid it's something more serious, but I always worry about stuff like that.

Has anyone else ever been afflicted with something like this? Is there anything I can do? As I said I started stretching, and the stretching doesn't aggravate the sore spot but despite this the aching and pain still disrupts what I'm doing after a period of time and it's extremely frustrating.

thanks for any help or advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: Aches and Pain around left rib cage and center of midsection.

Boz,

The only remotely possible thing that I can relate is from having bronchitis and coughing so hard that it pulls your muscle. Did the first doctor seems to indicate any type problem like this? Reason I ask is because of the Sudafed he prescribed. Second doctor, Im sure listened to chest breathing, back, etc for bronchitis or walking pneumonia, and from what you told him probably came to the conclusion of the muscle being strained. Pain should subside as you indicated, but I would have asked for a chest xray maybe, if I did NOT have bronchitis, severe cold with persistant coughing, or you really think you did not over do it on stretching the muscle. Good Luck, how you feel better soon, and your worries fade.

Closed Thread