It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
(female)

Ankh HB User
bad circulation

hi everyone

Does anybody know what causes really bad circulation?
my hands are permanently cold and my feet get so cold that it goes blue.
my legs also sometimes have like blotches because of the poor circulation

i dont understand this:i am only 21!!!!

please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: bad circulation

Possibly Raynaud's Syndrome however I suffered from the same thing when I was your age.

I have very low blood pressure, smoke cigarettes and drink a fair amount of caffeine drinks which add to the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

lars2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hi everyone

Does anybody know what causes really bad circulation?
my hands are permanently cold and my feet get so cold that it goes blue.
my legs also sometimes have like blotches because of the poor circulation

i dont understand this:i am only 21!!!!

please help!!

What is your blood pressure? 120/70 or 130/70 is normal

Ask your doctor to do a 4 point blood pressure test. This is when they take blood pressure from all 4 limbs.

I would see a cardiologist. He or she can then help you, if you need to see a vascular surgeon the cardiologist is the one to refer you.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
(female)

Ankh HB User

hi there

thanx for the replies.

Constant: what is raynaud's syndrome?
i do not smoke,but do drink coffee(not too much).....my blood pressure is okaayyy i think....

vinny: my blood pressure is 90/70 (it was like that the last time i measured-about 3 months ago).
do you think it actually is necessary to see a cardiologist.....it cannot be anything serious can it?

Old 10-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

lars2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hi there

thanx for the replies.

Constant: what is raynaud's syndrome?
i do not smoke,but do drink coffee(not too much).....my blood pressure is okaayyy i think....

vinny: my blood pressure is 90/70 (it was like that the last time i measured-about 3 months ago).
do you think it actually is necessary to see a cardiologist.....it cannot be anything serious can it?
I not a doctor so I really cant give you a definate answer.

The systolic blood pressure (the top number) represents the pressure in the arteries as the muscle of the heart contracts and pumps blood into the arteries. The diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) represents the pressure in the arteries as the muscle of the heart relaxes after it contracts.

So systolic/diastolic

Now your diastolic is normal, 70 is perfectly normal. While 90 systolic may or may not be normal.

Is low blood pressure bad for your health?

People who have lower blood pressures have a lower risk of strokes, kidney disease, and heart diseases. Athletes, people who exercise regularly, people who maintain ideal body weights, and non-smokers, tend to have lower blood pressures. Therefore, low blood pressure is desirable as long as it is not low enough to cause symptoms and damage to organs in the body.

Now you have the symptoms, so possibly theiur could be somthing wrong. Check out this website

http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/article.htm

It has a ton of information, but most importantly, see a doctor because low bllod sugar can lead to severe side affects.

Thogh your general doctor will be able to guide you in the correct dicrection. A EKg and Echocardiogram can show, if its the heart as the weakness.

Last edited by lars2005; 10-08-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Ankh - Basically Raynauds is a circulation problem that affects (usually) hands, nose, ears and feet. But generally it can affect all 4 limbs. Raynauds is also very painful. In severe cases medication is needed to open arteries in legs and affected areas, so circulation is vastly improved. Its not life threatening so don't worry. But it is delibertating and a massive pain [I wont say where, lol].

Seeing a Cardiologist for Raynauds is no good. A Cardiologist can't help you. Only a Rheumatologist can who specalises in Raynauds Phenomenon.

Do a search on the net for Raynauds. Most circulation problems are not Raynauds related.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
(female)

Ankh HB User

oohh okay..thanx Whitelight

nope, i definately do not have Raynauds.
i do not experience any pain.
it is just uncomfortable having cold hands and feet.....also having blueish feet!

Old 10-10-2005, 05:03 AM   #8
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

This happens with a low-calorie diet. It has nothing to do with circulation really -- it is just the body's way of conserving energy by not "wasting" calories by heating the extremities. I have seen you on the ED board so I bet this is the issue in your case.

It is not necessarily a problem, and doesn't mean you have a raging ED or that your diet is dangerously low in calories. A healthy diet should be fairly low-calorie, so, this is just something to learn to live with. If you live in a cold climate, I would suggest investing in the best, warmest ski gloves you can find, and the best, warmest socks (I like fleece socks, maybe with wool-blend socks over them for extreme cold.) Those chemical heat packs that you hold inside your gloves are also a lifesaver for outdoor activities in the winter.

Closed Thread