It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Dandruff Problem MILLIONSOfFlakes:(

Hello all. i have another problem

ever since i can remember my head produces sooo much dandruff. i even scratch often, and there's millions and never end. When i look closely in a mirror at my head, it seems the skin is soooo dry and flakes form from day to day.

I wash everyday with supposedly GOOD DANDRUFF shamppos. Like head and shoulders or medical dandruff shampoos. but it has never worked. Immediately after i go on in my day( after morning time), my hair dries off, and then i start feeling itching. i feel this impulse to scratch and check how much dandruff falls. and man, it's always like snow. i'm tired of it.

i've had haircuts and think that shorter hair will help me combat the dandruff, but no. no change. If this helps-- > my father has lots of dandruff too, my mother doesn't. ( could it be hereditary)

what can i dO??

Old 10-29-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Dandruff Problem MILLIONSOfFlakes:(

Have you seen a doctor about this. if not I would. I do think they have prescriptions meds.that will help with such a severe case

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I used to have dandruff pretty bad. I wasn't sure what it was from but I got a water softener and it just magically went away. The hard water must have dried my scalp out and made it really flakey.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

Have you tried the head and shoulders in the blue bottle with selenium sulfide in it or selsum blue? If these have not helped how about nizoral shampoo. It's main ingredient is ketoconazole and this is used to treat drandruff caused by a fungus infection of the scalp. If these have not worked, then you definitely should see a doctor. I have used perscription shampoos for many years, and as long as I use them as directed, I am completely dandruff free. If I lax on using them, the flakes and itching are back, so I am pretty faithful to use my rx shampoos. The perscription shampoos are just stronger than the ones I mentioned above, but are the same ingredient. Let us know if you find something that helps. kentuckywoman

Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

I have read that Listerine (the original kind only) has been found to help dandruf. You just have to be careful it doesn't run down into your eyes.

You can do a search on the internet to find more information. I copied what I found under one article.

Listerine may have anti-fungal properties, but home remedies rarely come with specific guidelines. We have heard from many readers that original formula Listerine massaged into the scalp can relieve itching and dandruff. Based on what we know about dandruff shampoo, you might want to apply Listerine to the entire scalp, leave it on for 5 minutes, and then wash it out with shampoo.

One reader who followed this approach reports: "Thank you for writing about Listerine. I tried the treatment and my seborrheic dermatitis has improved tremendously. The itching is almost gone."

Good Luck!

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

barkingshark HB User

I had the same problem with dandruff that the speciality shampoos wouldn't help. I started using antibacterial soap ('soft soap' brand and dish detergent kinds ) and used a conditioner afterwards and this stopped the problem.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
(female)

bpblues HB User

Nizoral, a shampoo is superior to any shampoo you can find, used to be a prescription only, but now in stores. Worth the price, about $14 a bottle, but several uses in bottle.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

alltaurus HB User

When I wash my hair I first give it a rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar, or White Vinegar. I let it sit on my hair for about 5 minutes then wash with and herbal shampoo from the health food store then an herbal conditioning rinse.

I've been doing it for about 3 weeks and my flakes are gone and my hair looks better than it ever has

Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Most likely you have "dry scalp" instead of dandruff. Dandruff shampoos will only make matters worse for a dry scalp.

Use a moisturizing shampoo and a good conditioner. I use "Seabreeze astrigent" on my scalp and it works wonders. Seabreeze adds moisture but does not dry out the scalp. I use an eyedropper or a squirt bottle to apply Seabreeze to scalp only and not the hair, then massage into scalp. Seabreeze does not mess up a hairdo or make hair fall flat. Can use anytime during the day and not mess up hair, if, you apply to scalp only and go under hair with fingers to massage in.

Beauty salons use Seabreeze for little old ladies with flaky/itchy scalps and it works wonders.

My mother had the horrible white flakes and insisted it was dandruff and would not stop using dandruff shampoos. While ill the caretakers would use a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, no more flakes.

Last edited by Misty800; 11-02-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
(male)

RockDiesel HB User

I have had success with Neutrogena T-Gel Daily Dandruff Control, i think that is what it is called or at least something similar to that.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

Sounds to me like it may be dry scalp and not dandruf but if your dad was dx with dandruff I may be wrong. I have Psorisis (similar to dandruf but doesn't flake as much)and i have had luck in the past with Denorex or the T-jel shampoos. I would see a dermatologist if you cannot control it with any of the suggestions offered here.

Amanda

Closed Thread