It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
(male)

mrblomert HB User
Arrow lisinopril side effects

hey everyone
my turn for some help, doctor has me on lisinopril for my b.p. one of the side effects says if your urine turns dark to seek medical help right away, well mine did and i called my doctor this morning and she told me that is excpected and to increase my water drinking by three times because i only drink a couple of glasses a day. i do drink more when i'm training on my bicycle but i have really not been riding much this last month. i have only been on this stuff for a week. anyone eles having this same problem or any other wierd side effects from this drug??? thanks for any comments!!!!
cheers and good health,
tony b.

Last edited by mrblomert; 11-01-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: lisinopril..dark urine..is this really bad

I take Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I haven't noticed any dark urine (but if water drinking prevents it, I do drink alot). The only side effect I've had is a cough, but was told it was normal. Otherwise no effect at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

my hubby is on it as well and the only side effect for him too is cough.... sorry to not be of help!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
(male)

strawberry99 HB User

Tony B.

Your doctor may be right. But at the same time, I'd like to play it safe. Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor) is a medication that has the potential to affect both your liver and kidneys. And dark urine may be indicative of effects on both or one of those organs.

I don't want to scare you or anything, but if you're blood pressure is on the high side, medication will definitely help. There may be other blood pressure controlling medication that may suit you better, such as a diuretic. But many factors come into play in determining which medication is best suited for you.

By the way, how long have you been on Lisinopril? And what exactly is your currently Blood pressure reading if I may ask? When you say "dark" what exactly do you mean? Dark Yellow? Or Dark Red/black?

If dark yellow, then increasing your fluid intake is way to go. But if dark red/black, increasing fluid intake will only "mask" the signs of possibly (again, not saying definite, but is a possibility) LIVER or KIDNEY involvement.

And when I say "mask," I mean dilute the "darkness of the urine," thereby disregarding possible liver/kidney involvment. I suggest you meet with your doctor and run some Kidney (serum creatinine (Scr), blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and some Liver function test (AST, ALT, etc). But again, I don't want to scare you, so you instead of going out and getting laboratory test (obvious money comes into play), speak with your doctor about your medication possibly interacting with your liver or kidney, ok??

Last edited by strawberry99; 11-08-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
(male)

mrblomert HB User

well.......sorry for not the fastest response. thank you strawberry...i came back to look tonight because thing have been o.k. until today, have not drank much today and all of a sudden it is dark red to black. for the last two weeks all has been cool though. the doc did run a blood test...i could call her but i have an appt. coming up. might call her monday now. i have been on the med for about a month and yes i do have hep. b and she does know. i am in good health otherwise and my viral counts are next to nothing as far as the hepititas goes. i hope you read this and can shed some more light on this problem you seem to be in the know and that is great...........
thanks again, strawberry and everyone......
cheers (and go 9ers this weekend!)
t.b.

Closed Thread