It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

little_miss HB User
different medications

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help i'm currently on anti biotics for a chest infection and taking pain killers for cold symptoms but i have now pulled a muscle in my lower back and wasn't sure if i can take anti inflammatories for it as i need to take something because i'm working tonight and won't last with the pain.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: different medications

Pain killers for cold symptoms? What kind of pain killers are they giving you for cold symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
(male)

strawberry99 HB User

It depends on what the Antibiotic is and also the type of Anti-inflammatory you decide you take. In addition, I would need to know which pain killer you are taking for your cold symptoms.

Certain NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) should not or is not recommended to be taking with a few selective antibiotics. Will need specific names of the medications.

And as far as my concern with the other current pain killer for cold symptom combined with potentially a new pain killer if needed is the potential for the combined doses on both of them to be at an additive level, leading to a greater dosage than what it recommended; there's always a certain up limit dose per any medication. So again, need specific names of medications.

Plus, are you taking any other medications (i.e. oral contraceptives, anti-diabetic, blood pressure medication, etc, etc, etc). Always concerned about drug interactions. Sometimes doctors may not be aware of what other medications the patient may be taking.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

little_miss HB User

Thankx for the replies but i just took some strong pain killers along with the anti biotics and they worked fine seems to be easing off now.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
(male)

strawberry99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_miss
Thankx for the replies but i just took some strong pain killers along with the anti biotics and they worked fine seems to be easing off now.
Maybe I should have worded it differently. You are right, taking the extra pain killers will definitely help with the pain (and I'm glad they're helping), but I'm more concerned about the Antibiotics going to toxic or worst yet ineffective levels.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

little_miss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry99
Maybe I should have worded it differently. You are right, taking the extra pain killers will definitely help with the pain (and I'm glad they're helping), but I'm more concerned about the Antibiotics going to toxic or worst yet ineffective levels.

Sorry maybe i didn't explain properly or give enough info, the anti biotics were amoxycillin 250 mg and the pain killers were co codamol 30/500. I figured taking the strong pain killers with the anti biotics was better than taking both and anti inflammatories. Thankfully i have finished the anti biotics now so i am fine to take the pain killers for my back now.

Closed Thread