It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

Wisdom3 HB User
Mono?

Hi everyone ok can you get mono with casual contact? My friend has it and iam a bit worried that i might get it plus I've been extra dizzy lately. I have my own problems so i don't need anymore. Also we work together should i clean everything they touch?

Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User
Re: Mono?

I had mono when I was in the 8th grade. And I definitely had not been kissing anyone or anything like that. No one else had it that I knew of... so I must have gotten it thru casual contact. And I had it pretty bad...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

MyNamIsCrazy HB User

Infectious mononucleosis (mono) or glandular fever is often called the kissing disease. The label is only partly true. Kissing can spread the virus that causes this disease, but more commonly coughing, sneezing, or sharing a glass or cup transmits mononucleosis. It's not highly contagious.

Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, although similar signs and symptoms are sometimes caused by cytomegalovirus. Full-blown mono is most common in adolescents and young adults. Young children usually have minimal symptoms, and the infection often goes unrecognized. In lesser developed countries, mononucleosis is more frequently acquired at a young age, so classic mono signs and symptoms aren't as common as in developed nations.

Mono usually isn't very serious, although the virus remains in your body for life. Most people have been exposed to the Epstein-Barr virus by the time they're 35 years old and have built up antibodies. They're immune and won't get mononucleosis again. Treatment mostly involves bed rest and getting adequate fluids.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Generally, it's spread through sharing saliva (kissing, sharing food or utensils, sneezing on somebody, etc.) When you get diagnosed with mono, they tell you not to kiss anybody and not to share drinks or utensils, but they tell you that it's okay to go about your daily business otherwise. Studies have shown that people who are living with people who have mono really aren't at an increased risk of getting it over the general population (their risk maybe increases 1-3% or something... I don't remember, but it was small).

So wash your hands, make sure that your friend isn't licking things, don't share a drink or water bottle, don't share food... And you should be okay.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I got mono when I was 19 from a coworker, I think through using the same phone. First it started with strep throat then turned into mono. But like most have said, most have immunities built up against it. No one caught it from me.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
(male)

canada_josh HB User

right now I might have Mono too...

no kissing either

I have headaches...Sore throat...over-tired (sleeping ALOT)...muscle aches...sore stomach...Random Sweats for no reason...very exhausted when doing simple things as going up stairs...etc...

its not fun...my friend has the same thing as I do sooo :/

Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
(male)

canada_josh HB User
Red face Re: Mono?

Oi I just thought...I know they do a blood test....but if I tell them my friend HAS Mono which he does...will they still need to do a throat swab to make sure its not strep?

cuz I gag so easily...I dont think I could handle a throat swab...

plz let me know :P

Old 11-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

if your throat indicates strep they'll have to swab it to make sure that it is. There isn't a medicine for mono that you go on, but if you have strep you have to take antibiotics.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It is possible (and not infrequent) to have both mono and strep at the same time, so you should go to the doctor and get checked out if your throat is still really sore. Also, if your throat is really swollen, they can give you steroids to take down the swelling.

Closed Thread