It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

Mark_N HB User
Symptoms: High body temperature, dehydration, red face ?

Hello doctors.

I am in need of some advice.

I just visited my dentist and he was performing crown work so he had to inject me with various needles.

It's been about 4 days now since my visit and the injections and I'm having some symptoms I need advice on.

Symptoms:
My body temperature is running hot, my face is reddish and i'm very dehydrated - not only do I need to drink water but my lips and skin are dry.

I am very concerend that I may have contracted something from the dentist's needles, from a previous patient. I cannot verify if the dentist had properly sterilized the needles and I am not sure that he will tell me the truth in fear of being liable.

I have never felt like this before and I don't know what to do
I don't have any known illnesses and have had various 'recent' tests proving such. (within the last year).

I have not called the dentist yet because it's the weekend and I also don't think he'd tell me the truth fearing a lawsuit if I contracted something from his needles.

This isn't the first time I was recently injected with various needles by my dentist. I had an earlier visit 2 weeks before this last one where he also injected me several times with several different needles.

This first series of injections I had no bad reactions/symptoms. The injections I assume were for numbing effect as he was doing crown work.

Q: If the needles were improperly sterilized or not sterilized at all what is the likely hood I have contracted something from them?

Q: What do my symptoms sound like?

Symptoms: High body temperature, dehydration, red face ?

Q: Do my symptoms sound like I've contracted some kind of virus or illness?

Q: If I did contract something how can I find out what is it I've contracted from the dentist needles and how can I go about treating it before it has a chance to develop into something serious?

I've always been in good health and I don't have any diseases or illnesses and I've had several tests confirming this before my dental visit.

Please give me advice on what to do?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Symptoms: High body temperature, dehydration, red face ?

Needles used in medical settings are generally single-use, meaning that there are no issues with sterilization between patients because they are only used on one patient and then disposed of. Is the red face all over or just on one side or area? If it's just in one area, it could be some temporary nerve damage from the injections (if he hit a nerve). Is there any reason that you are dehydrated (vomiting, diarrhea, sweating)? If there's no specific issue causing the dehydration, you've probably just gotten behind on your fluids (maybe you weren't drinking enough because of pain after the dental work?).

Certainly, it is possible that you can catch something from the tools that the dentist does reuse between patients, but these should be sterilized and there are strict protocols for doing this. It is more likely that you have just come down with something from another source and the timing just seems to line up. The first thing that you should do is get a diagnosis of what it is that you have. This will tell you a lot about whether or not it was something that you could have caught from unclean instruments. Like if you end up having the flu, you didn't catch it from the dentist (unless the dentist had the flu...).

Old 12-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
(male)

Mark_N HB User

Thanks for the reply Kehorner.

"Needles used in medical settings are generally single-use, meaning that there are no issues with sterilization between patients because they are only used on one patient and then disposed of."

Can anyone verify / confirm that Dentist numbing shots/needles are one use needles and aren't used on multiple patients?

"Is the red face all over or just on one side or area? If it's just in one area, it could be some temporary nerve damage from the injections (if he hit a nerve)."

All over in the nose/cheek areas, both sides.
I doubt it's a nerve problem from the shots, I don't feel any problems other than my whole body feeling like it's on fire being dyhydrated and the red face.

"Is there any reason that you are dehydrated (vomiting, diarrhea, sweating)? If there's no specific issue causing the dehydration, you've probably just gotten behind on your fluids (maybe you weren't drinking enough because of pain after the dental work?). "

I had no pain from the dental work, I was numbed for some drilling of temporary crowns [removal] but not actual real tooth drilling. I regularly drink about 4-6 16.9 oz. water bottles daily, including after the dental work.
Bottled water is pretty much the only thing I drink.

No vomiting or anything abnormal.

But I was so dehydrated that not only my lips were dry cracking but I saw my hands looked dryer and older and a bit less full which is very strange.
Today my hands are looking a bit better than the other day but my lips are still dry and cracking, but I'm putting Chapstick on them.

"Certainly, it is possible that you can catch something from the tools that the dentist does reuse between patients, but these should be sterilized and there are strict protocols for doing this. "

I know there are laws to prevent the reusing of tools on multiple people but who's to catch the Dentist?
They aren't likely to get caught, so there isn't much guarantee of them actually always sterilizing them.
And the Dentists usually leave that up to the assistants who are even less competent / reliable.

"It is more likely that you have just come down with something from another source and the timing just seems to line up."

I disagree here, I am in my mid thirties I know what colds / flu's feel like and this is neither. I also spend my time at home both before and after the Dental visit for weeks both before and after.

This is most likely no coincedance in my mind. SOMETHING from the Dentists work did this to me.
Normallly I am in great health and I haven't been sick or ill for over 4 years.
What are the odds that all of a sudden right after my dental visit I get something?
Not likely at all unless that's the source.

"The first thing that you should do is get a diagnosis of what it is that you have."

Can you recommend any tests/suggestions based on my symptoms?
I don't have a regular Doctor and don't know who I should see or where to go.

Unfortunately I am broke otherwise I would have gone to the Doctors to find out. Currently I'm waiting to see if the symptoms get better or worse before I spend money on a Doctor I can't afford.

A true crime in our country is the cost of medical / health issues, something that every U.S. citizen should have.

*** do we pay taxes and not even receive this mandatory life care?

Gee, which is more important building bombs and roads or providing health care for our citizens.

Gimme a fkn break.

I thank you and others [if they answer] for your input and hope you reply with more info/help.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Dental injections and instruments are always sterilised but I suppose, in very rare cases, a insturment or appliance may not be fully sterilised. But this does sound unlikely and your dentist wont admit to it.

It doesn't sound like the Flu or a cold. It could be a case of a mild allergic reaction to the injections because of the rash/redness on your face. But if you've had this injection before and never had any problems then it probably isnt this.

Im just trying to throw some ideas around here so you dont worry. But I would see your doctor if this isnt normal for you. Go to your doctor and have white & red cells checked, thyroid function, ANA, glucose, body salts etc. Basically every blood test incase you've got a infection in your body.

Dehydration will cause cracked lips and sometimes skin but cold weather also causes this. How high is your temperature? I would test your temperature if you haven't done so already.

Closed Thread