It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User
postnasal drip,sore throat, white spots.

i am hoping someone can help me. Since Tuesday I have had a sore throat which is getting a little better. I have thick postnasal drip and white spots on the throat. I gargled this afternoon and a few spots fell off...what is this, does it sound like strep? thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: postnasal drip,sore throat, white spots.

sounds like tonsillitis and those spots are tonsil stones...they generally smell really...REALLY bad.

The problem is, you may have strep and that must be treated with an antibiotics. You really should see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

YES!!! It does sound like strep to me. Those are my exact symptoms every time I have ever been diagnosed with strep. The white spots in the throat are always a dead give away for me! You should set up a doctor appointment ASAP. Strep should be treated right away as it can lead to more serious problems. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

thanks for the replies....i am actually feeling better today with only a very slight sore throat so i guess no strep for me!

Old 12-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

r0cky HB User

white spots in the throat are not the same as "tonsil stones", and do not always signify strep throat. in fact, only a small percentage of sore throats are actually caused by strep - the rest are caused by viruses. it sounds to me like you just had a virus. many times i've had a really bad sore throat with white spots and thought "oh, this must be strep!" and then to my surprise the strep tests come back negative.

so, white spots in the throat are not always signs of strep, but it never hurts to go get a culture done at your doctor's office to be sure if you're not feeling better. but since you ARE feeling better, it's probably not strep, and it's good that you didn't have to take any antibiotics because they wouldn't have helped a virus and taking them when unnecessary just leads to antibiotic resistance (and you don't want to develop that!!).

anyway, i'm glad you're feeling better! i know sore throats are the worst!!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

Good evening.....

I went to the doc today because now the voice is gone and hubby said it would not hurt to get checked. The strep culture was negative, so she said just keep doing what ia m doing, salt water gargle, etc...lots of fluids....so that is that. Thank you for all of the advice!

Happy New YEar to everyone

Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Exclamation Re: postnasal drip,sore throat, white spots.

I would suggest strep also my daughter had it 2 times this year. Even if you have strep it can go away thinking your cured,But in fact even though you feel better you can still pass it to some one. And even get scarlet fever also. My daughter got scarlet fever from not being treated in time. Learn from my mistakes. You don't want scarlet fever or even worse rhheumatic fever.
Good Luck

Closed Thread