It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
(female)

Pipsal HB User
Strange Jaw pain (both sides) - Doctor or Dentist?

For the past 2 nights I have had a dull ache along my jaw, equally as sore on both sides. It only came on at night today, I did not notice it during the day. I also have a bit of a throbbing sensation at the back of my jaw and half way down towards my chin tonight - both sides same, and feels like it is near back teeth (top and bottom). Not agony, just discomfort ache.

I have also had 2 small lumps (only milimetres in diametre and height) on the roof of my mouth that have been a bit tender to touch or eat with, had them for 3 days, but used salt water yesterday and today they are almost gone and so is the tenderness in that spot.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a dental problem or maybe a virus or something (had bad stomach upset last 4 days and bit tired but no other muscle problems)? Last trip to dentist was 6mth ago, and had xrays etc, so I can't imagine my whole mouth would have so much trouble it is painful in all areas very suddenly?? So Doctor or Dentist? Immediately or give it a few more days?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

Flustered HB User
Re: Strange Jaw pain (both sides) - Doctor or Dentist?

Hi there!
Jaw and mouth pain can be caused by a lot of different reasons. Becuase of the bumps you described, and the sick stomach, I would lean towards your body fighting something off. We all have glands in the throat area and even ones that can become inflamed and swell into our mouths. I would definitely keep an eye on it - as I'm no doctor - but it sounds to me like your body is fighting off some kind of foreign body and it should subside. If the pain gets worse, you develop some other kind of swelling that gets out of hand, or you just can't take it anymore - I would suggest seeing an ear, nose, and throat doctor instead of the dentist. Oh - one more thing, do you grind your teeth?? At night? That can cause some annoying pain too!
Hope this helps!
Flustered

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread