It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
(male)

appleboy HB User
swallow tablets and capsules help

Hi, I have a bad habit on taking medicine with tablets and capsules. Usually I bite the tablets into smaller pieces and swallow and open the capsules and swallow the "powder" . I know thats the wrong way, will it have the same effect or better effect? I do this its because I find those tablets and capsules is very big in size and very hard to swallow, even smaller tablets I also don't dare, is there anyway to overcome this problem?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: swallow tablets and capsules help

I don't know if this will help YOU or not, but my mom used to have the same problem until I told her that when she is swallowing the pill to make her throat "big", like when you are just about to swallow it, relax your throat, what is happening is that you are tightening up and your throat is closing. Think about it, you probably could eat a handful of peanuts and not chew them up into powder, whole pieces are going down, it's mind over matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I agree with Sunlover. I always had a problem with taking tablets until I realised that I could swallow a whole grape! All tablets are much smaller than that! You do need to make your throat 'big' and just swallow them without thinking too much. You can also try taking them with lemonade or soda water to start with, as the bubbles surround the tablet and you don't feel it so much.

hope that helps.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It is not wise to chew tablets or empty contents of capsules. Many are designed to release at various intervals instead of dumping all at once into your system.

Try filling mouth half full or less with water, toss in tablet or capsule and "gulp". The tablet will be surrounded by water and goes down just find with the pill never touching mouth/throat. This works well for me. If need be, use warm water, it will help keep throat from spasming.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It's fine to do with some medications, but can be very bad with others. Before you do this, you need to ask the prescribing doctor or pharmacist if it is okay. Also, you could ask if the medication comes in a liquid form. But certain medications must be taken whole, and should not be messed with, so check before you do so.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
(male)

appleboy HB User

Thanks for all the replies, you have answer all my question, I will try my best

Old 01-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

My son's doctor taught him to take my medications "backwards" (he also had a problem swallowing pills). What he taught him was to put the water in my mouth first and then tip his head and drop the pill in and swallow. It took a few times but it worked like a charm. Now that he is older he feels like a goober doing it that way but old habits die hard.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
(female)

WarGerbil HB User

Opposite to what the previous poster said, tilting your head down (chin towards your chest) can help because pills float, so if you put them in your mouth and look UP with water in your mouth, then they float to your teeth. If you look down, they float to the back of your throat.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I used to have this problem for years. I still have it now sometimes with capusels. A trick I have found to do when taking tablets, is to have a drink of milk or coffee with extra milk, have a few gulps so your throat is all wet and moist, and then poke the pill to the very back of your throat and take a big mouthful of the drink at the same time. This makes mine go down.

Closed Thread