It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #1

NaeNae HB User
Strongest Cough Medicine?

I was diagnosed with pneumonia on Thursday. I already take Hydrocodone (as directed)-and have been for several years-for some major back issues. So I have a pretty good tolerance to medication.

My doctor prescribed me Hydrotussin to help the cough and help me sleep at night. It's not working too well and is not making me real tired. I know nothing is going to take the cough away completely, but this doesn't help a whole lot. I was going to call my doctor and ask if there is anything a little stronger that can help me (I haven't slept in nights!), but before I do, I want to see if anyone knows if there is anything stronger. I looked on the bottle to see if there was any kind of mgs, but it didn't have any.

Just to add, I had bronchitis this past spring and had 2 different kinds of prescription Robitussin and they didn't work well. I think the Hydrotussin is a little stronger than the Robitussin's were, though.

I just want relief for a little while...Thank you!

Old 01-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Strongest Cough Medicine?

There are cough syrups that do contain things such as oxycodone and just about any other actual strong narcotic that could possibly work for you.i would just speak with your doc about it.since you were already on one of the stronger narcotics already that contain hydro,switching to something different,or just the oxy based cough syrup might control things a bit better.I really would just ask your pharmacist first about this and then with your doc.the pharms know sooo much more about actual meds and how they work than any doc out there.I always ask my pharm any actual med questions as they just know so much more than most docs.good luck.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #3

NaeNae HB User

Thanks for your help! I called the doctor on call at my Dr's office on Saturday afternoon and he said all cough medicines are pretty much the same. Don't know if I agree on that one. He didn't do anything about it.

I should have called the pharmacy first. I thought of that, but thought I might be bugging them for some reason. I kept thinking it was Saturday and they were pretty busy. But I guess that's why they're there, huh?

Coughing is still going on, hopefully he'll at least refill this one time since it provides a small relief-better than none.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the thing is with any cough syrup,there are certain types ment to either stop the cough,or stop enough of the cough and help produce more effective coughing?like coughing only when you need to get all the crap out of your lungs?so some coughing is good,it also helps break up all the junk thats in the lungs when you have any illness that involves them.so you don't really want to just stop all coughing,you just want to prevent that dry hacking cough and then hopefully when you do cough,it is because you are clearing out some of that accumulated crap in your lungs.there are good reasons for having a coughing response.one really important thing here is to drink alot of water and stay away from milk.water will help to thin the secretions but milk will tend to thicken them somewhat.in essence,you need to cough but you want it to actually be productive,by that I mean just coughing up 'something' and get it out of your body.just talk with your pharmacist to see if the current 'type" of cough medicine you are on is the one that is the best for doing whatever job needs to be done,as far as producing,suppressing or preventing.there ARE differnt types and you need the one that will do the best job for your specific needs.the pharm will know and most of them are more than happy to answer any and all questions.thats what they are there for.i always call my pharm with questions,not my doc.the pharms have much much more overall knowledge of all of the like,thousands of meds out there.it is also much quicker than having to call your docs office and talk to a nurse,who will talk to the doc and 'maybe" get back to you some time during the flippin week.hope you feel better soon.FB

Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Did they see if you have a little asthma? It is not real asthma it is illness related. I had bronchial / pnemonia twice in 2004 and I could not stop coughing and they said sometimes your lungs get all hyped when you are sick and they need help to calm down. It is worth asking about and it is only for around two weeks you would need it- it is worth asking about. There is a breathing test they do. If your doctor says no ( which would be fine if he tested you first!) Try going to a pulmonologist. They specialize in this illness and maybe they can help you more than a general doctor. Docotrs aren't always the most compassionate people.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Have you tried cough meds with codenine in it?

Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

NOVAHISTEX DH

Do not know where you live but we have this in Canada by prescription. It works terrific. I had same symptoms as you and that is what my DR gave me. Helps you to sleep and really helps the coughing too.

Any cough med with codiene helps too, but in USA it is not available over the counter. In Canada you can ask the pharmasist for it.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Just got this cough syrup Mytussin AC the generic would be
Guaifenesin/codeine PHOS
It's script in the US not sure about Canada. The syrup works great for about 5 hours and you're able to sleep when it's working.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #9

NaeNae HB User

Hi all, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Well, the Hydrotussin (which is Hydrocodone-what I take for my back-and Guaifenesin together) started to help me after a few days. The first few days I was hacking so bad, but needed to-I had so much gunk in there. I could tell the Guaifensesin worked because I'd wake up dead in the middle of sleep being forced to cough. I think those first few days NOTHING would have helped. I called my doctor for a refill and luckily he did refill it. Well, what do you know I opened it and turned around to get a measuring spoon thing and my son knocks it over. I probably lost 3/4 of it. So I call the pharmacy and they tell me to call my doctor. I called them Friday early afternoon and they said they'd leave him a message. No call by like 4:30pm, so I call back and even though they close at 5:00pm, they call people until 5:30pm. So 5:30pm comes and goes, no call. I called the answering service and left a message. The doctors is open Saturday for urgent care needs only and I didn't want to have to go in, but I called and my doctor wasn't in Saturday so she said I probably won't recieve a call back until Monday. Thanks people.

However, he did give me a second prescription when I got the syrup filled. It's gel caps called Benzonatate. It's I guess another cough medicine. I think it's giving me headaches though. And I don't know if this is causing it as well, but I have Restless Leg Syndrome and it has been acting up the past few nights. So I'm not taking any today to see if that's the cause.

I think by now it's just a dry cough. Still consistant and there all the time, but I don't hear too much mucous in there-or feel it.

Johna and twokatss, thanks for the tip on the syrup. If I remember right, when I had bronchitis in the Spring, I had Mytussin and it didn't really work well. I could be mistaken, but isn't codeine and codone (as in Hydrocodone) in the same family? I'm guessing if it's got Hydrocodone in it, it's like having codiene. I could be wrong.

itburns2004, I have a slight case of asthma. Since I was 12 (I'm 32 now) I've gone through periods (mostly during allergy season) when my breathing gets tight and I just can't get that deep breath in. But I've never really had an attack. So I have an inhaler. What's odd was for the past few months, this shortness of breath thing has been going on. Usually when I have it, it'll last a week or so. This was lasting months and the inhaler or nebulizer wasn't working. I know I should have gone to the doctor (my husband kept pushing me, I have a problem with going every time) and I kept saying, "After this (add whatever holiday/birthday/major event) I'll go. Well then I got this pnuemonia and now I'm wondering if all these breathing problems I was having was like a precursor of pneumonia to come? I told him about it when I first went in, but after he saw my x-rays, I forgot to ask him if it has anything to do with it.

So I don't know if my doctor will refill what I spilled or if I'm SOL. I'll let ya'll know. Thanks again for all the support!

Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

When I had pnemonia in December and am recover from bronchitis now my inhaler and nebulizer didn't work in either case. Remember green is not a good color coughing up.
Take care........hope you feel better

Closed Thread