It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

storm12 HB User
naturally hyperextended knees

I know there was another thread about a knee problems, but it brought up my questions. My knees can already go extra backwards. So if I stand up in one place for a long time, I have to consciously make sure that I don't let my legs bow out too much backward otherwise I will be in pain. My legs have been like this since at least puberty, and my dad always looks absolutely hilarious when he is wearing shorts. His knees go so far back, and he's complained sometimes about his knees, but I don't know that he has ever consulted a medical professional about it. Even though I am female, I may have inherited this from him.

For about a year, on the advice of my doctor, I have been doing quad and hamstring exercised, I do pilates, etc, and wear over-the-counter arch supports in my shoes - because some of the pain in my right knee was supposed to be caused by my flat feet. This all helped for nearly a year, until this past fall, and currently. I am still wearing the arches, exercising, and my right knee is now positively painful. My boyfriend thinks I should get an MRI on it done, but no doctor has yet suggested this possibility. I have an appointment next with my new primary care doctor (my old one left the practice), who also subspecializes in sports medicine. Maybe he'll have some ideas.

I am getting frustrated with this, as I like to exercise, but this is interferring with my cardio work outs. Does anyone else have inherited hyperextended knees?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

betts123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: naturally hyperextended knees

Hi there . What you are talking about is an inherited condition. My husband and children inherited it from their family. Normally, a person's tendons and ligaments keep you from over extending your joints. In these people the joints can over-extend because the tendons and ligaments are too elastic. I think the name for this condition is Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. My husband has had numerous surgeries on his knees because he tried skiiing. If you are careful to not stretch out your joints, you shouldn't need surgery. You can keep everything stronger through exercise. My children have not had surgery, but they have to be careful.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User
Re: naturally hyperextended knees

Hi, just a quick message, I'll write more later....I have it....it's called hypermobility syndrome and it becomes a problem when the pain sets in. You can look it up and there's a little flexibility test that will answer a lot of questions about it.

I'll check back in when I have more time. Good luck............Angel

Closed Thread