It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Knee Pain,and Spasms in Patella

Hi all

i had a knee injury recently. I'm 26 yr old male. all i did , was lower myself by bending my knees. it wasn't a full squat, but it was bending my knees as if i was sitting in a chair. and i held the position for a few seconds. Then i got up. Didn't feel much. but a few minutes later i started feeling pain as if i was sprained.

That was 1 week ago. and i still have pain. Nothing wrong with my range of motion. the knee bends fine.

But what i get now is:
1. pain in patella or around it when at rest
2. sharp pains at times, when i walk. i'm even limping these days, but today i managed to do without limping much. although i had to walk slow
3.spasms in knee cap

what could this be? help anyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Knee Pain,and Spasms in Patella

It could just be a pulled tendon or something might have gotten out of place so a nerve is effected or something like that. This sort of thing happens more as we get older, unfortunately, even in someone who is relatively fit. A regular stretching routine (something similar to what one would do in physical therapy or yoga) can be good preventative medicine.

Is the knee swollen? If so, I would see a doctor soon to do something about that. And, of course, if the pain keeps up much longer it would probably be a good idea.

Hope you're better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

aunt judy, thanks for your response.

NO the knee is not swollen at all. just have stubborn pain. I guess i have to be patient. today i will go to doc just to see what he recommends

thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
(male)

Jesse39 HB User

i have had pain in my knees since i was really young but a couple years ago it got much worse one because i had fallen playing bball and it swelled up the size of an apple, and another time when i was skiing and crashed into a rock hitting my knees on the bolder and a stump and flipping over to hit a tree. that happened when i was either 13 or 14, and im now 16. a trainer at my school diagnosed me with chondromalasia when i was 14 and i got it checked out by a doctor and he agreed. i did all the workouts my trainer told me to do and the pain really eased up for a year. now im back in basketball playing varsity and some days i can barely even walk. whenever i get hit it hurts like a SOB because i have chonically inflamed knee caps. and the patella tendon connecting the shin has been hurting for a week bad enough i can barely walk. iv been looking for a solution to help the pain cuz i am a VERY active kid, but i havnt found anything good. i have read about the injections and those seem like they would help, but i cant fin dmuch on them, the surgery sounds like it only helps for a couple years, and getting the knee cap scraped would help for a little while but then you have to get more and more scraped off throughout the years. i did the workouts and they helped but the body automaticaly uses other tendons more if one is hurting or if its weaker so the workouts help what hurts but makes other things hurt just as much. Any advice or suggestions?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the only way to actually get rid of chondromalacia is with arthroscopic surgery and scraping that out.i had this done two years ago along with a few other odds and ends that were all causing me some level of pain.i also had whats called a bakers cyst that formed and started actually pushing out of the back of my knee.now that had to be a surigcal resection along with closing up the tear in the synovial sac that created it in the first place.chondro will continue to cause inflammation with possible fluid retention or pockets of fluid,just becasue of inflammation,if it does not get removed at some point.the surgery is just arthro and makes a couple of tiny holes in the knee itself with teeny tiny little tools inserted and used to do the clean out.nothing really major actually.i had grade 2-4 right behind my knee cap.this just casues irritation and inflammation that continues til that crap gets taken out.i would highly recommend to the both of you to at least obtain an MRI(this is what finally revealed all of my problems even some type of "old sprain' that i never recalled actually doing to it?)but my surgeon was able to get all things righted for me again and things have felt soo much better there now.this was two years ago.unfortuently i already had whats called RSD in that knee from spinal cord damage but had to have this done anyway since it was really sending my already severe pain thru the flippin roof.a good knowledgable ortho who specializes in knees would be the next step after you have that MRI.just having a consult to find out what your biggest issues/options are and whether or not they can be corrected would really be in both your best interests.like i said,arthro is a pretty simple not as invasive as other types of surgery can be.believe me,i never knew just how horrid just having any level of knee problems could be til mine hit me,like all at once.when the surgical intervention is pretty simple and straightforward to try and fix your problems,it really should be looked into.once your knees go,many many other issues can develop espescially if this changes your gait in some way?becasue you are walking "differently" to try and compensate for that 'bad knee,it can throw off alot of things further up like your hip and your low back.not to mention the other knee as well since it takes on more of a load now.it has that domino effect,ya know?

if i were the both of you,i would just get that MRI and see what pops up.you don;t want to let something go for too long when it is within any joint(espescially any load bearing type of joint) since it can become much worse over time if not fixed.just some advice from someone who went thru this crap.i wish both of you luck with your knees.but please get those MRIs done.you just really need to know whats going on and if possible,get things fixed or other things removed as this will continue to inflame the surrounding areas.i wish you guys luck with this.please keep me posted as to what you find out,K? FB

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

Wow thanks guys. That post was such a long time ago.

Here's my update and i didn't get surgery or anything:

1. No more pain
2. no more popping

Everything is good but after not using my knees for a long time now i can't bend my knees fully even if i push them( And that's both knees.. i had had previous sprains so i stopped trying to bend them fully since year 2000..so now i can't bend my knees fully). Orthopedic xrayed me and said i have tight quads.. but i don't know how to regains my knee bending abilities.

Well how did i get better?
Just had faith and patience. i couldn't walk for a long time. Also i did my own self therapy at home. doing exercises to strenghthen and strethc. and i took herbals

Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
(male)

Jesse39 HB User

thanks, but can u explain what they are doing in arthroscopic surgery?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

noko,just wanted to pass onto you what helped my dad who had very severe osteo arthritis in both knees.he eventually had to get them both replaced but he needed to still be mobile and be able to actually bend them so he just started doing those underwater bicycle excercises in a hottub?he said this was the only thing that actually allowed him at first to even be able to bend them.once he just slowly kept doing this like every day(he joined a club just to be able to use that hot tub everyday)his legs got ALOT stronger and the bending was sooo much more improved and less painful.you just have to keep bending them at least a little bit or you will eventually lose all mobility in the joints.being in the heated water and just being IN the water(weightless) really helped him to even be able to do these particular excercises.he did this right up til and after both knees were replaced.he also had a much much quicker recovery time since those muscles were in really great shape already and he didn;t have to start 'from scratch'.this just really helped his knees in many ways.
just thought i would pass that along to you. FB

Closed Thread