It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

principesa HB User
Unhappy Feeling of "fullness" in my head... Please read ...does anyone know what I mean?

this is probably going to sound really weird, but... i have this physical feeling of "fullness" or pressure in my head (mostly the front). and also, a lot of times it's hard for me to think - i don't have that normal, unweighted, "clarity" feeling i used to have... it feels like... if you've ever studied so much at one time that you felt like you had to get your mind off it to "reset" - but it feels like that all too often...).
i used to be a good student but i had to quit college and - in this condition i feel like i couldn't go back to it. (i don't even feel like i could excel in the most basic of jobs, either, because i feel like i can't learn the skills...).
i'm 24 now, and i feel almost like time is running out for me to get my education back on track. i've tried to open up to some family members and, you know what i get told? well, my uncle said "yeah, you used to be such a smart girl - what happened to you?" (i just about burst into tears!) and another contends that since i've had to quit college, my mind is just stagnating and that's why i feel like this. you know, that's really painful to accept but i won't let pride get in the way if that's the truth and simply using my brain more is all i need to strengthen it... but, my own gut tells me that this isn't ...um... brain atrophy. just because i'm not in college anymore - i still use my mind, don't i? ...one thing that i wonder whether it's responsible is, i do have depression (which, when i get away from my family, miraculously improves!) and i have read about how depression kills off brain cells. the only other reasons i can think of, are: i have sinus problems so maybe it's from that and/or tension in my head, and, i also have gum problems, which - unless you have them, you'll probably find it hard to believe just how they can affect you. it can range from a dull chill behind my upper lip, to all the way up my face! but i don't know. the muddled thinking could be loss of brain cells, but physically, my brain just feels so STUFFED into my head. i'm just praying someone else out there knows what i'm talking about... i'd give anything to have that ...unweighted feeling back!

Last edited by principesa; 02-08-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User
Re: Feeling of "fullness" in my head... Please read ...does anyone know what I mean?

Well, at first thought....fullness feeling, and pressure, especially toward the front of your head would definitely make me think sinuses.... You could have some sort of chronic sinus problem. My brother has that problem. You should see your doctor an see if they can help you. I had a friend that ended up having to have a nose job due to her constant sinus problems and it helped immensley. Your other problems with depression could also be getting worse due to your feeling so "icky" all the time. what has your doctor had to say about all of this?

p.s. And what your uncle said was completey uncalled for. Rude AND mean. There is NO reason to say something so insensitive to anyone for any reason. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to him anymore if that is the type of things he has to say! Just my opinion of course....

Last edited by tina76; 02-08-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Re: Feeling of "fullness" in my head... Please read ...does anyone know what I mean?

I agree. What your family has said to you is completely uncalled for and just plain out mean and rude. They should be more compassionate towards you. Many people suffer the same as you. It has NOTHING to do with you not "using" your brain as they say. Of course you use your brain still! If you never, then you wouldn't be alive. I would call it plain ignorance.

I also agree that it could be a sinus problem. You should ask for a referral to an ENT, and have it checked.

You also mentioned you have a gum problem... could the "brain fog" be a complication of an infection or a medication used for that?

I'm also thinking maybe an allergy? Have you ever been tested for allergies? They too will cause those symptoms. And yes, you can "suddenly develop" an allergy.

Hmmm, also, have you moved recently? did you live in a dorm? Is it possible you were exposed to an environment with poor air quality? (ie: mold, mildew, etc)

Just a few ideas. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. And if you need any support, you'll get lots of it on these boards. The people here are great !

Last edited by Angela22F; 02-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I forgot to mention anything about the "gum" problem! I had a gum infection a few months ago and it caused that swelly, "full" feeling all the way from my neck up the side of my face. You probally want to call your dentist and get in right away. I had the same trouble and let it go a few days and it got really painful. Just turned out to be a sligth infection and anti-biotics cured it up right away.

And I totally agree with Angela about the allergy thing! I hadn't even thought about that. My boss is always saying she feels "foggy" when hers are acting up. And as Angela said, I have heard of many people developing allergies all of a sudden.

And as for college.... You are ONLY 24. That is NOT old honey. You have a long life ahead of you to accomplish all of your dreams, whether they are college or something else. . YOU might feel old, but believe me you are still young! I quit college when I was 20 and I didn't go back until I was 26, now I have my degree and a great job (I'm 29). It's not that unusual. So don't worry about that at all! Right now you need to focus on figuring out what is goign on with your health etc... That is the most important thing. Don't worry so much about the future. It will be there waiting for you when you are feelign better!

You need to get into the doctor right away hun. It sounds like this stuff has been going on too long as it is. Call today and try to get an appt. Even if you don't have insurance (which I am not sure if you have) they are required to see you at either an urgent care center or the ER at the hospital. Get some medical help! Let us knwo what happens!!! Good luck!

Tina

Old 02-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

principesa HB User

thank you so much. you gals are so kind! thank you for the sympathy about my family. they are actually also the reason why i feel like i'm old.
i'll try not to write a book on it, but... because of the problems i've mentioned, i feel like i'm not functioning very well - and my family's response to this is (a) to tell me stories of how i used to be such a smart little girl and muse over how i turned out this way and THEN, (b), to try and direct me to some mindless jobs that they think my slow intellect can handle!!!
(yes, for real.)
my father is constantly harassing me to do something, WHILE implying "even if it won't be anything special, because by this age it's too late for me to try and be, say, president..." and i have a stepfather who threw out the candles from my 18th birthday cake, exclaiming and laughing in my face "WELL, YA WON'T BE NEEDIN' THOSE ANYMORE! YOU'RE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM 30!" ..............30 never seemed old to me before, but in that instant i saw myself 6 years from now, still trapped living with him, and i felt hopeless.
and my aunts/uncles/grandparents - when i stopped college, i found myself having to pay off my loans already so i started selling on auctions, and when they found out, they automatically assumed that i must do nothing but sit at home all day, lonely, and they started acting like they're ENTITLED to know what my situation is - i have even heard someone asking my mother "does she even go out of the house??" ...can you imagine?!!! and my GRANDMOTHER keeps "helpfully suggesting" careers for me and when i try to politely tell her "thank you grandma, but i'm fine, really" she actually defiantly INSISTS that i CAN'T possibly be fine because what i'm doing with myself isn't up to her standards of what she finds fullfilling! ...i understand there are a lot worse families than mine, but knowing what they think of me (and i can't give them the satisfaction of putting them in check) really gets me down!
they've made me feel like even if i like who i am, i shouldn't - and now when i talk to people (anyone at all), i'm afraid to talk about myself because they'll think the same things my family does ...i think i'm getting phobic of people because of it (i'm even worrying about posting here too much, like, who wants to hear about all my stupid little problems?!)

*blush* okay, so i've wound up writing so much about this... i'll give y'all a break, try to figure out who/where my current doctor is. (when i stopped college my health insurance also got cut off, so i had to get on government insurance - which, even though i know plenty of people also are and it's nothing to be embarrassed about, i am - and my doctor has relocated so many times i don't know where she is or who to contact about finding her or another one within the plan.) i'll check back with you in case you actually want to hear about what's going on

Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Wow, no wonder you're having brain fog and other issues. That is alot of stress for one person to handle.

Don't put off seeing your doctor too long. As Tina said, you can go to an ER where they will have to treat you regardless of insurance.

As for you family, you need to stand up for yourself. I know thats easier said than done. I've been there myself though. I was an honor student, top of the class... and because of personal problems, and I got pregnant, my grades dropped. I managed to get 3 years in at college and then had to leave. I just couldn't afford it anymore lol. My family's views was exactly like yours " you WERE such a smart girl. what happened?" and so on. I finally told them, this is how I am living MY life. Between, you me and the wall, I do plan on returning to school, but just can't right now. I'm still me, nothing has changed. I'm not any less intelligent for having my daughter, or leaving school. Its just, sometimes we lead much different lives than our families had imagined for us and they have a difficult time accepting that.

Have you sat any of them done and explained just how you feel? And how their "ignorance" is affecting you? Believe me, stress can do alot of nasty things to the body. If they truly love and care for you, they will come to understand you.

Anywayz, thats my rant. And personally, I do not mind listening to your story. I believe thats what these boards are for. Support of each other in all of our situations. Plus it helps to vent I know

Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
(female)

principesa HB User

i just have to thank you again, so much, for your sympathy (and for your willingness to read all this). it's so unexpected. i'm used to getting told how i'm responsible for my own problems - while i'm already well aware of how my poor choices have contributed to my situation, and i blame myself constantly as it is. ...and, if you can believe it, all the stress that you see my family causing me is only a small part of what's going on with me...
i have a lot of health issues - some of which, i am almost certain that you have helped me out on in the past! - and i'm always worried that someone will think i'm a hypochondriac or just being a wimp about things that are normal for everyone... but, i believe that so much is related. like, the fullness about which i started this thread, i'm sure that could have originated (if only in part) from stress and/or depression (or maybe it's this situational stuff that gets me depressed, whatever)........ and i also have feminine problems, which stress can also cause because it messes up your hormones and that can do a whole bunch of stuff to a gal's body!
so i try to keep my posting to a minimum - and thank all of you who reach out and help me.
...angela, i don't know the circumstances around your pregnancy but... your family is just as out of line as mine and i ADMIRE you. moms - good moms, not crazy ones like mine, anyway - carry the world on their shoulders all day and that deserves admiration.
...again, thank you for being there. i would like to return the favor sometime but since we're not allowed to message each other, i just hope that next time you post i happen to see it
meanwhile, i'll get back in touch after i go to the doctor~

Closed Thread