It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

Jooner18 HB User
My infamous lung "pop"

Well, it's a really weird thing actually. I am an ex-smoker, who occasionally dabbles when the mood strinkes. About three months ago, I developed a pain in my lower chest on the right side. During this time, I thought my breath smelled funny, but I was also trying a new supplement to help me get rid of candida (which I thought might have been causing other problems). Anyway, about a month later, I developed a 'pop'. This pop happens when I take a deep breath. It's locations seems to be somewhere within the ribcage.

has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I just got a chest x-ray done yesterday, so I'm awaiting some results. I don't know if this is a muscular thing or what. I don't really have a heavy cough like a pneumonia or cancer, so although I'm not ruling those out, it seems less likely. If anyone else has had a similar ailment, please let me know, I'm so anxious about this.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
(male)

Jooner18 HB User
Re: My infamous lung "pop"

Also the pain associated with this whole thing is about a 2 or 3 most of the time, with occasional bouts of 7 or so... I'm not really trying to bump my thread, because there will always be a new symptom with me. But one thing I do know is that Ibuprofen isn't working anymore.

I'm going to a local lab to have an abdominal ultrasound next week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just exactly what do you mean by lung"pop"?is it something you feel? hear? can you be a bit more specific?is it like a crackle type of pop?or does it feel like "something' pops,like a ligment would pop when you move a joint around?exactly what does the associated pain feel like?dull aching sharp....?It would help alot if you could be as descriptive as possible.FB

Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
(male)

Jooner18 HB User

Love to,

When I breathe normally, there is no change. But you know when you take a deep breath and you feel your lungs really fill up? Well mine fill up just fine, but there's a pop of some kind. To me, it feels as if something is grinding together, or like.... When you squeeze a baloon in your hand, the baloon forms around the spot that you squeezed, and blows up around your fingers. It feels like all of a sudden the air goes somewhere else. And I don't think I can hear it, only feel it. It also seems to happen more when I'm hunched over a desk, or sometimes laying down.

As for pain, this seems to occur lower, down towards the bottom of my ribcage, but I think the two are related. It is a nagging, dull pain that flares up once in a while. The past few days, I've had to stop doing what I was doing, just to sit down and get some energy back. This morning, I could barely get out of my car. So for a minute I was thinking some sort of gall bladder thing, but I don't know what that would have to do with this pop.

I can answer any questions, in fact, I'm more than happy to. Anything you can think of, please let me know.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

There are a lot of muscles in that area, maybe a pulled muscle or muscle spasm? Both are very painful. Good Luck

Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
(male)

Jooner18 HB User

I wish it were one of those, at least I would know it was going away at some point.

The paing in my lower ribcage haws been going on since mid-november, and the "pop" since around Christmas.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

could be a problem with the diaphramatic muscle.a good ct or even an ultrasound could possibly highlight the problem.i would follow up with the diaphram and see where that takes you.this would be affected by lung expansion in the way you describe what happens when you take a deep breath.it could be a slight movement in the wrong way of the muscle,or ligament in that particular area.This is where I would concentrate my search on at least for now.FB

Old 02-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
(male)

Jooner18 HB User

That is most definitely possible.

I have an ultrasound coming up in late February, so maybe I'll ask them to kind of move around and check that out too. What you suggest makes a lot of sense, especially after the past few nights. Now whenever I cough, there's quite a sharp pain coming from that area. I myself am unfamiliar with how far the diaphragmactually ex tends around the lungs, as far as the sides and everything goes.

I tend to think I have that there um..... Fibromyalgia? But it's not exactly something that gets diagnosed easily. How would I get a doctor to test for that? Could they find that out in an ultrasound?

Thanks for the help, keep it coming. The idea of actually formulating a plan of action is exciting.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are alot of good anatomy and physiology sites on the net,try googling diaphram or lungs or something.this should bring you to one of those sites where you can see where everything is in relation to what you are experiencing.you could possibly have some sort of herniation at the diaphramatic muscle area.just one of many possibilitites.

fibro Dx would be a totally different animal.they usually will try pressing on specific areas thru out your body structure to see if you have the 'trigger points' that would indicate fibro as a possibility.go on down to the fibro boards just a scroll on down and read thru some of the threads or ask questions there,they are a great knowledgable group down there and would be able to answer some more specific questions about it than I ever could.let me now how things go,K? FB

Closed Thread