It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
slammed thumb in car door

about 2 hours ago, I slammed the top half of my thumb in the car door. It was so bad I had to open the door to get my thumb out. It is now really swollen and throbbing. When I press on the nail it hurts even more-- but here's where I get concerned (or relieved) I have acrylic nails, so I'm thinking that the plastic of the nail probably absorbed some of the shock of it, but it still hurts like the dickens and like I said is swollen to about twice its size. I can bend it, but it really hurts to do so. I've been doing RICE... is there anything else aside from taking Advil that I should be doing?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

HeyKD HB User
Re: slammed thumb in car door

Owie. That hurt just reading it. My mom accidently slammed my finger in the car door once and then blamed me for being in the way. But I don't recall doing anything for it other taking an aspirin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

That stinks your mom blamed you for it. I had just put my neice in her carseat and was all proud that I got it right on the first try... I was making faces at her (she's 2) and I didn't realize that my finger was in the doorjam...oppsies. I was so proud of myself, I didn't swear or cry...I didn't want to scare her. Did your nail fall off? I'm just weirded out by the acrylic nail thing lol

Last edited by twizliz; 02-17-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

HeyKD HB User

Yes, my nail did fall off and I think I broke skin. It also grew back in weird, like it grew back in overlapping down the middle. I could have gotten it fixed but I never did. You didn't break skin did you? I think your nail might fall off anyway because those are usually hard blows anyway. I was thinking if you broke skin and since you have acrylics I'd probably take myself to the doctor.

But on second thought, I probably wouldn't go to the doctor. They'd probably just hurt me more

Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

the skin underneath the nail did break and it bled a little bit..

Old 02-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

HeyKD HB User

Tough call, maybe someone else can jump in. I've been known to take out my own stitches though. If it was me I'd probably start using a nail remover and start dabbing at the acrylic to get rid of it.

That sucks! You were having such a good time being a good Aunt and then that happens. You were right to not show your little niece you were hurt. Or to let colorful words fly

Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

My step daughter slammed her thumb in the car door many years ago. She did lose her nail. Before that though it was painful for quite a while and her mom brought her to the doctor and I guess there was pressure built up in there and they had to make a little hole in the nail to let the pressure out. Then she had to soak it in a mixture of peroxide and water every day. I would think you would want to remove that acrylic nail as soon as it's not too painful to do so since they can cause infections under the nail and since you injured it you will be more prone to it getting infected. Keep using the ice for about 10-15 minutes several times a day.

I did slam my hand in a car door a couple years ago but I didn't catch any nails. Man it hurts that's for sure. I kept ice on it as much as possible since it brought swelling down and numbed the pain. You just don't want to do it for longer then 15 minutes at a time then give it a half hour break to prevent frost bite.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

My cousin was saying how having the fake nail probably helped some because of buffering the force of the door (She has an SUV--big doors!) it's weird, because like I said, the nail itself doesn't hurt that bad.. it's below it that hurts but I can bend it, just not all the way.

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it comin' lol

Old 02-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ms_ENV27 HB User

I slammed my thumb in the car door about 5-6 monthes ago. I also have acrylic nails. My thumb ended up bleeding underneath the nail right away and that leaving under my nail purple. My acrylic nail ended up falling off and I had to keep it off for a few months, which I hated because I had 9 nails done and 1 ugly thumb lol..

theres nothing you can really do, just take ibuprofen (sp?), something that is going to make the swelling go down..

Your real nail will end up growing out again ..just takes time..if your nail even falls off to begin with

Old 02-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
(female)

tzane12 HB User

This happened to me last year, and I did lose my nail. I have broken my wrist and my leg at previous time, but the pain I had with the slammed thumb in the door was the worse pain I have ever had. I kept my thumb on ice from when it happened all thru the night. I kept setting the alarm to change the ice . Then I put some neosporin on there the next day, just to keep infection at afar. I feel for you, I really do. It is terrible pain. My pain was so bad, I was nauseaus.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
(female)

nr2go HB User

Well, you're probably going laugh, but I have found that by wrapping a flexable magnet around the finger(s) that you can actually reduce the inflamation and bruising.

I smashed a couple of fingers between two heavy desks one time. They started to swell up, bruise, and get stiff. I wrapped a magnet around them for a few hours. The swelling went down, there was hardly a bruise and I was able to bend them.

You may have to use a magnet for a little longer since it happend several hours ago.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by nr2go; 02-17-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I went to the er yesterday because I called the dr, and I told him about it, and he was saying how I probably had a hemotoma (SP?) underneath the nail and I would have to drain it. Then I told him that I had acrylic nails above it... and he was like 'how comfortable do you feel about putting a hot needle through your fake nail and your real nail?" and I of course was like 'not very' and he said best to come in and have him do it then. After looking at it he wasn't convinced that I had a hematoma under it, so he xrayed it instead to see if it was fractured. It was fine, but still opted to go to the base of my nail with the special instrument they have.. that was so painful! There was no blood under there, but the bruising has lessened. He also gave me something for the pain, told me to keep it elevated and clean dressing.

Closed Thread