It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

eDeal HB User
Persistent cough, with nausea and loss of appetite

Since the end of thanksgiving, I have had a cough that seems to be related to nausea as well as a loss of appetite.

The cough was severe at one point, coming in clusters, but faded into an occassional dry cough, which used to lead to feeling like I would have to vomit, even with an empty stomach.

Now, anytime my stomach is empty, I feel somewhat nauseous, and generally after meals I feel like I could easily throw up what I have eaten. The cough is still there, but it does not seem to have as much direct effect on the feeling.

Also, during this time, I cannot seem to get hungry. I do not even really remember what the feeling feels like. The last time I remember being hungry is before my illness in novemeber (flu-like symptoms). I have eaten because of tradition, but when the nausea peaked, I stopped eating for three days, and didn't think of food at all. That was a month ago, and no matter how long I go without food, I never feel like I am starving.

It has gotten to the point where I have lost 20 pounds in 30 days.

With this, I never get indigestion or feel any pain. I did notice that as I lost weight, the cartiligeous part at the bottom of my sternum is more noticable than it has ever been, and if I press off to the left side of it, I can give myself the urge to vomit. The doctor felt this area of the sternum and thought it was normal, but it has changed greatly to me.

The doctor suggest proscribing a cough supressant and an anti-nausea drug, but I told him I would rather keep the symptoms and figure out was was wrong before acting on them. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

eDeal HB User
Re: Persistent cough, with nausea and loss of appetite

Well the nausea is still there, but now there also seems to be a persistent fullness, long after meals. It doesn't seem related to stomach contents, however, as I have had nausea during these times and when I would drink water, I would only vomit up water and still feel full aterwards.

I am feeling a little down due to a death of a friend, so I still am holding out hope it is all related to that, but it's there even when I am happy. Outside of strange sensations of fullness, some tightness, or pressure, there are no signs of pain, even if I eat highly fatty or spicy foods.

In general, my overall health seems to be improving, as I have taken up walking about 5 miles 5-6 times a week. It just the cough, nausea and loss of appetite are lingering.

Is this something I should ram through my doctor, who doesn;t seem overly concerned, or is the more casual wait and see approach sufficient?

As long as I am overweight, I don't mind the weight loss (at this rate, in a month, I will be average) but a part of me misses being able to actually eat a full meal.

ETA: I forgot to mention. I have just discovered that if I completely exhale, I will spasmatically cough repeatedly often until I feel light-headed.

Last edited by eDeal; 02-24-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread