It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

Debe Pam HB User
Blood Pressure

My mom went for a physical a few weeks ago and her blood pressure was 120/80, she is 60 years old. All her adult life her blood pressure has been 90/60 sometimes a little lower. The doctor took her pressure when she went back a week later and it was still about 120/83. Is this considered high blood pressure for her? This doctor that she went to says no because it is in normal range. For her it seems like it would be high, considering it has always been so low all her life. Should she be alarmed at how high it is now? She's been acting fuzzy minded and confused the last few months , and I was wondering if it was due to the higher blood pressure.

Last edited by Debe Pam; 02-26-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: Low to high blood pressure

That is actually excellent blood pressure for a woman her age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Blood Pressure

It's normal for blood pressure to fluctuate. Anything over 140/90 is considered high. Your mom's pressure is great! Her sense of confusion is not due to her current pressure. Maybe she just has a lot on her mind or has been stressed out about something. If that continues, she should see her doctor about that.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

After rethinking this, when was the last time your mother had a physical that showed a blood pressue of 90/60?

Also, has she had any medication adjustments or changes lately?

Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Blood Pressure

90/60 is quite low, especially for an older person! What it is now is fantastic! She should count herself lucky! My pressure has already been as high as 165/110 and I had NO symptoms at all (I'm 47), no fuzzyness, etc. My mom has been 200/100 and had no symptoms either (she's 70)... so that definitely is not from her blood pressure. She's too young for alzheimers, so I wouldn't say that, but it could be what the other poster said, that she may have a lot on her mind, that plays a BIG roll in fuzzy thinking!

Last edited by Sunlover; 02-26-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The thing that would concern me about this mostly is that anyones 'normal" BPs that suddenly jump up,even to what would be considered to be normal,should be evaluated,really.i am normally hypotensive which even became much worse after a spinal cord injury affected many areas one which controls BPs.for me.120 systolic would indeed be considered 'high" for me.

The confusion would also indicate a possible problem here too.BPs are very individual.BPs that would be considered 'normal" for one person,could be out of the norm for someone else.the big thing is to look at what 'her" norm usually is and seeing the big raise only because her particular norm is at a more hypotensive range,could indicate a problem.I am thinking,given the symptoms you mentioned,that her kidneys could be playing a part here.I really would go with her to her docs and discuss this sudden jump in her BPs and have them(just to ease some worried minds)do some bloodwork on her kidneys.any really caring doc would do this just to ease minds if for nothing else.

The BIG thing here is that this is NOT normal for HER.If the doc thinks your nuts,demand that bloodwork be done.you DO have some rights to have any concerns addressed.Always remember,the doc works FOR YOU not the other way around.this really does need some furhter evaluation just to make sure things are okay.good luck and please let me know what you find out,K? FB

Old 02-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I don't want to alarm you, but Alzheimers at 60 is rare not impossible. It does sound more like stress though. Best of luck.

Closed Thread